How Do Strong Shock Waves Behave in Adiabatic Conditions?

• Thread starter Cantique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adiabatic
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the strong shock condition using the Rankine-Hugoniot equations. It also explains why, in the zero-momentum frame, the shocked gas must be stationary while the unshocked gas continues to travel at its initial speed V. The question of how fast the shock travels in the zero-momentum frame is raised, with two possible scenarios being considered: the shock staying stationary at the center of the two gas clouds or moving at speed V towards the edge. The third part of the conversation discusses what happens when the shock reaches the side of the cloud distant from the surface of contact, with the conclusion that the shock will eventually cause the two gas clouds to separate and travel in opposite directions at a velocity of V
Cantique

Homework Statement

Derive the strong shock condition given the Rankine-Hugoniot conditions:

[itex]\frac{ρ_{2}}{ρ_{1}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{u_{1}}{u_{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{γ+1}{γ-1}[/itex]

where u1, ρ1 are velocity and density upstream of the shock and u2 ρ2 are velocity and density downstream of the shock.

Two identical gas clouds collide with a relative velocity of 2V, where V is very much larger than the sound speed in the clouds. A strong, planar, adiabatic shock wave propagates into the clouds away from the surface of contact. Explain why, in the zero-momentum frame, the shocked gas must be stationary, while the unshocked gas continues to travel at its initial speed V.

How fast does the shock travel in the zero-momentum frame?

Without detailed calculation discuss what happens when the shock reaches the side of the cloud distant from the surface of contact.

Homework Equations

Rankine Hugoniot equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed the first part and second part asking for the explanation. I am stuck on the problem of how fast the shock travels in the zero-momentum frame. In my opinion it should do one of two things:

Stay stationary at the centre of the two clouds - The reason being that the fact that the downstream speed is zero in the zero-momentum frame means that all the gas collides only at the centre where it then remains. However, this has the problem of creating an infinitely large pressure at the centre which would eventually result in the sound speed being higher than V (the speed of the unshocked gas) so the shocked gas would start to spread out under the thermal pressure and so the position of the shock would move out to each edge which leads to my second case:

The shock moves at speed V towards the edge. Following on from the reasoning of the other case.

I think the second case is more likely than the first, but don't believe it to be correct. Am I thinking about this problem incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
And how can I calculate the shock speed in the zero-momentum frame?For the third part, I would think that the shock will move outwards and eventually cause the two gas clouds to separate, with each cloud now travelling at a velocity of V in opposite directions. Is this correct?

Related to How Do Strong Shock Waves Behave in Adiabatic Conditions?

1. What is an adiabatic strong shock?

An adiabatic strong shock is a type of shock wave that is characterized by a sudden and drastic increase in pressure and temperature. It is called adiabatic because there is no heat exchange with the surrounding environment during the shock process.

2. How does an adiabatic strong shock form?

An adiabatic strong shock is formed when a high-speed fluid or gas encounters an obstacle or a sudden change in its flow path. This causes a rapid compression of the fluid, leading to an increase in pressure and temperature and the formation of a shock wave.

3. What are the properties of an adiabatic strong shock?

An adiabatic strong shock has several important properties, including a sharp increase in pressure and temperature, a decrease in velocity, and an increase in density. Additionally, the shock wave propagates at supersonic speeds and can cause significant damage to objects in its path.

4. What role do adiabatic strong shocks play in astrophysics?

Adiabatic strong shocks are important in astrophysics as they are responsible for the formation of stars, supernovae, and other celestial objects. They also play a crucial role in the dynamics of interstellar medium and can help explain the origin of cosmic rays.

5. How are adiabatic strong shocks studied?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, computational simulations, and laboratory experiments to study adiabatic strong shocks. They also observe these shocks in natural phenomena, such as explosions and solar flares, to gain a better understanding of their properties and behavior.