How Do Sample Means and Variances of Poisson Distributions Approach Normality?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves finding the limiting distribution of various expressions involving a random sample from a Poisson distribution. By using the Central Limit Theorem and a theorem about differentiable functions, we can show that the expressions in parts a) and c) have a standard normal limiting distribution. For part b), we can use the same theorem and the fact that the mean and variance of a Poisson distribution are equal to simplify the solution.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2, …, Xn be a random sample from a Poisson(λ) distribution. Let [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] be their sample mean and [itex]S^2[/itex] their sample variance.
a) Show that [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{\sqrt{\bar{X}}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{S}[/itex] both have a standard normal limiting distribution.
b) Find the limiting distribution of [itex]\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]^2[/itex]
c) Find the limiting distribution of [itex]\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}^2-\lambda^2][/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) For [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{S}[/itex], we know that [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{S}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{\sigma})(\frac{\sigma}{S})[/itex]. Since
[itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{\sigma}[/itex] appraches N(0,1) in distribution by CLT, and since [itex](\frac{\sigma}{S})[/itex] appraches 1 in probability, the whole thing approaches N(0,1).

For
[itex]\frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{\sqrt{\bar{X}}}[/itex], we get the same result...since the mean is equal to the variance in a poisson distribution.

b) I'm a little confused about this one...

c) From a theorem in my textbook, I know that if [itex]\sqrt{n}(X_n - \theta) \rightarrow N(0,\sigma^2)[/itex] and if there is a differentiable function g(x) at theta where the derivative at theta is not zero...then [itex]\sqrt{n}(g(X_n)-g(\theta)) \rightarrow N(0,\sigma^2(g'(\theta))^2)[/itex].

So I just need to use this theorem, right? And in this case g(x)=x^2.

Do you think my answer for a), and c) are correct? Also, can you give me a hint for b)?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!
Thank you for your interesting question. I have studied and worked with various statistical distributions, including the Poisson distribution. Based on my knowledge and experience, I would like to offer some suggestions to help you with your problem.

For part a), your approach seems to be correct. By using the Central Limit Theorem, we can show that both \frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{\sqrt{\bar{X}}} and \frac{\sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]}{S} have a standard normal limiting distribution. As for part b), we can use the same theorem to find the limiting distribution of \sqrt{n}[\bar{X}-\lambda]^2. Remember that the variance of a Poisson distribution is equal to its mean, so you can use this to simplify your solution.

For part c), you are correct in using the theorem you mentioned. You just need to find the derivative of g(x)=x^2 at \theta=\lambda, which is 2\lambda. Then you can plug this into the theorem to find the limiting distribution of \sqrt{n}[\bar{X}^2-\lambda^2].

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! If you need any further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies.

Related to How Do Sample Means and Variances of Poisson Distributions Approach Normality?

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data. It involves using mathematical methods and models to make conclusions and predictions based on data.

2. Why is statistics important?

Statistics is important because it allows us to make sense of large amounts of data and draw meaningful conclusions. It helps us make informed decisions and identify patterns and trends in data. Statistics is also used in various fields such as business, science, and social sciences to support research and make predictions.

3. What are the different types of statistics?

The main types of statistics are descriptive and inferential statistics. Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing data using measures such as mean, median, and standard deviation. Inferential statistics involve using sample data to make predictions or draw conclusions about a larger population.

4. How do I choose the right statistical test?

Choosing the right statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to consider factors such as the type of data (categorical or numerical), number of groups being compared, and assumptions of the test. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help in selecting the appropriate test.

5. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable is associated with a change in the other variable. Causation, on the other hand, refers to a direct cause and effect relationship between two variables, where one variable directly affects the other. Correlation does not imply causation, as there could be other factors at play that influence the relationship between the two variables.