How Do Plane Waves Behave in Electromagnetic Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for visualizations of plane waves and whether it is possible to have an electric field wave without an accompanying magnetic field. The participants also share links and information about the topic, including a forum thread and a website with relevant content.
Ratzinger
I would like to see some nice visualizations of plane waves. Has anyone a nice link or knows a book where to find such?

For EM waves the perpendicular E and B vector span a plane at each instant of time, right?

What if there would be only an electric field wave. Would there be also a planes, i.e. are there many electric field vectors aligned next to each other at each point in time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe posting #6 in this thread will help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=533190

I don't think it's possible to have a wave of E without an accompanying wave of B. According to Maxwell's equations, a changing E field automatically produces a B field, and a changing B field automatically produces an E field.

Yes, it is possible to have an electric field wave with no magnetic field so long as [itex]\vec k \times \vec E = 0[/itex], i.e. the waves are longitudinal. Such will occur in plasmas (electron plasma waves, ion acoustic waves, etc.).

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I also found something.

http://www.cs.brown.edu/stc/outrea/greenhouse/nursery/physics/emwave.html

neat

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do Plane Waves Behave in Electromagnetic Theory?

1. What are plane waves?

Plane waves are electromagnetic or acoustic waves that have a constant amplitude and phase throughout their entire propagation. They are called "plane" because they have a flat wavefront, meaning that the wave is perpendicular to the direction of propagation and appears as a flat plane when visualized.

2. How are plane waves visualized?

Plane waves are typically visualized using sinusoidal graphs or animations. These visualizations show the amplitude and phase of the wave as it travels through space. Some visualizations also use vector arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields of the wave.

3. What is the significance of visualizing plane waves?

Visualizing plane waves helps us understand the fundamental properties of waves, such as wavelength, frequency, and propagation direction. It also allows us to see how these waves behave and interact with different materials or obstacles in their path.

4. How do we calculate the properties of plane waves?

The properties of plane waves can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the wave equation and the vector calculus equations for electric and magnetic fields. These calculations take into account factors such as the frequency, wavelength, and propagation direction of the wave.

5. What are some real-life applications of plane waves?

Plane waves have many practical applications in science and technology, including wireless communication, radar and sonar systems, and medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. They are also used in physics experiments to study the behavior of waves and in engineering to design and test new materials and devices.