How do physicists calculate half-lives?

• Thread starter Petrix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, The half-life of an isotope is determined by its proton (Z) and neutron (N) numbers through the initial and final state wavefunctions and the transition matrix element, which is described by the interaction of the decay. However, these calculations are based on long and model-based equations, making it difficult to predict the exact half-life of an isotope without experimental data or analytical expressions of non-perturbative QCD. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics before delving into these calculations.
Petrix
Hello!

I have just been wondering if each of the isotopes of an atom is determined by its proton (Z) and neutron number (N), then wouldn't these two numbers be enough to calculate the half-lives of them (given of course the masses of the proton and neutron also)?

So, how does current nuclear physics determine the half-life of an isotope beforehand?

What actual equations and calculations do you have to do, if theoretically those two numbers (Z & N) would be enough to determine it?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh dude, this is a very difficult subject!

Basically, you need initial state (wavefunction) and final state and the transition matrix element (The interaction which takes you from inital to final state, i.e the abstract formulation of beta decay or alpha decay etc.)

So you need:
[tex]<\psi _{final } |H|\psi _{initial}>[/tex]

All of these quantities are (often) very long equations, and are also model based, which are "approximations" for which the general and important feature of the underlying basic physics are included.

So you first need your potential, in which the nucleuses moves, in order to get the hamiltonian. Then you obtain all the wavefunctions from this. Then you must find an operator which describes and represent the physical interaction of the decay.

Maybe you have no clue what I just wrote, since what I wrote require basic knowledge of quantum mechanics.

So instead of asking us all these questions, which all requires quantum physics as background, I suggest you first learn quantum mechanics formalism and so on. Otherwise I think it is a waste of time for us talking about stuff which you can't understand ;-)

Can you predict the half life an isotope given its mass and Z?
You can make estimates of it's stability but I don't think you can actualy calculate the half life or a real atom.

Half lifes are very easy to determine experimentally of course.

Theoretically speaking yes, practically speaking no. To do this computation exactly, one needs analytical expression of non-perturbative sector of QCD, which is not yet known to physicists at this time. Alternatively, one could try to use existing numerical non-perturbative methods (Lattice QCD), but required computational resources would be humongous and also out of reach.

The best thing we can do is to use approximate models of nucleus and semi-empirical formulas.

hamster143 said:
Theoretically speaking yes, practically speaking no. To do this computation exactly, one needs analytical expression of non-perturbative sector of QCD, which is not yet known to physicists at this time. Alternatively, one could try to use existing numerical non-perturbative methods (Lattice QCD), but required computational resources would be humongous and also out of reach.

Pfww! I don't think anybody has ever attempted (maybe I'm wrong, refs ?) to calculate one single nuclear property "ab initio" from QCD. With a lot of effort, one can calculate the mass of a pion or so, and then with less accuracy than the experimental result.

Related to How do physicists calculate half-lives?

1) How do physicists determine the initial amount of a radioactive substance?

Physicists use a process called radiometric dating, which involves measuring the amount of a radioactive isotope and comparing it to the amount of its decay product. This allows them to calculate the initial amount of the substance.

2) What equation is used to calculate half-lives?

The equation used to calculate half-lives is N(t) = N0(1/2)t/T, where N(t) is the amount of the substance remaining after time t, N0 is the initial amount, and T is the half-life.

3) How do physicists determine the half-life of a substance?

Physicists conduct experiments to measure the rate of decay of a substance and use the data to calculate the half-life. This involves measuring the amount of the substance at different time intervals and plotting the data on a graph.

4) Can the half-life of a substance change?

No, the half-life of a substance is a fixed characteristic of that particular substance. It does not change under any external conditions.

5) How do physicists use half-lives to determine the age of objects?

By measuring the amount of a radioactive isotope and its decay product in an object, physicists can calculate the number of half-lives that have occurred and use that information to determine the object's age. This is the basis of radiometric dating techniques used in various fields like archaeology, geology, and astronomy.