How Do Neodymium Cores Affect Solenoid Power and Efficiency?

In summary: Another option could be using a larger iron core or increasing the voltage to the coil. Both of these methods would increase the strength of the magnetic field and result in a longer throw for the solenoid.
shy_barbarian
Hi all, I've a few quick questions about solenoids, just want to understand things better.

As I understand it, the way a solenoid works is the iron core is sucked into the middle of the coil because this is where the coil achieves the highest inductance possible. Makes sense.
Incidentally, solenoids have a rather short throw, unless you use a very large coil.

2 questions:
1. I did a google search for neodymium solenoids and came up with nothing. I am guessing then that constructing an electromagnet with it's own permanent iron core, and then using a neodymium slug would not yield any more powerful results than a conventional solenoid would. Am I right? Why is this?

2. What are my options for creating a "long throw" solenoid? Obviously one option is using a very large coil. Another option as I see it would be to create a rod with permanent magnets placed at specific intervals, and use a series of "push-pull" electromagnets to propel the rod through them, similar in concept to a coil gun.

I didn't want to muck up another electromagnetic thread I have going with all these related but unrelated solenoid questions so I created another thread here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I did a google search for neodymium solenoids and came up with nothing. I am guessing then that constructing an electromagnet with it's own permanent iron core, and then using a neodymium slug would not yield any more powerful results than a conventional solenoid would. Am I right? Why is this?
You cannot switch it off. If your electromagnet is stronger than the permanent magnet, you don't need the permanent magnet. And if it is weaker, you can ignore the electromagnet.

2. What are my options for creating a "long throw" solenoid? Obviously one option is using a very large coil. Another option as I see it would be to create a rod with permanent magnets placed at specific intervals, and use a series of "push-pull" electromagnets to propel the rod through them, similar in concept to a coil gun.
Looks like a good approach.

Related to How Do Neodymium Cores Affect Solenoid Power and Efficiency?

What is an electromagnetic solenoid?

An electromagnetic solenoid is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a core material, such as iron, and when an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels the core, causing it to move.

How do electromagnetic solenoids work?

Electromagnetic solenoids work by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electrical current is passed through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. In a solenoid, this field is concentrated due to the coil shape and the core material, which amplifies the force acting on the core. This force causes the core to move, either towards or away from the coil, depending on the direction of the current.

What are the applications of electromagnetic solenoids?

Electromagnetic solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in electric locks, relays, valves, and actuators. They are also used in various electronic devices, such as printers, vending machines, and appliances. Additionally, solenoids are commonly used in industrial processes, such as in conveyor systems and automated machinery.

What factors affect the strength of an electromagnetic solenoid?

The strength of an electromagnetic solenoid is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the type and gauge of the wire, the material and shape of the core, and the amount of current passing through the coil. As these factors increase, the strength of the solenoid also increases.

How can electromagnetic solenoids be controlled?

Electromagnetic solenoids can be controlled by varying the amount of current passing through the coil. This can be achieved using a power source, such as a battery or power supply, and a switch or control circuit. By controlling the current, the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be adjusted, allowing for precise control over the movement of the solenoid.