How Do Measurements and Excitation Wavelengths Affect Single NV Center Analysis?

• A
  • Thread starter annaphys
  • Start date
In summary, it would depend on the specific experimental setup and what the goal of the measurement is.
annaphys
Hello, I have two questions regarding NV centers:

1. Measurements (ODMR, Rabi, Ramsey, Spin Hahn) are done with NV center ensembles. What would change with the measurements if only one NV center is measured?
2. A 517nm diode laser is used for the optical excitation. But this wavelength is different from the wavelength emitted by the NV centers. What other wavelengths could be used instead of the 517nm?

Physics news on Phys.org
annaphys said:
Hello, I have two questions regarding NV centers:

1. Measurements (ODMR, Rabi, Ramsey, Spin Hahn) are done with NV center ensembles. What would change with the measurements if only one NV center is measured?
You would get a weaker signal but I guess that is obvious. It is difficult to give a good answer to what else would change since it really depends on how the sample was prepared. Are you only measuring one NV centre because you have a scanning setup that allows you to address individual centres in an ensemble? Or do you you really have a sample with only one (or perhaps just a few) centre?

annaphys said:
2. A 517nm diode laser is used for the optical excitation. But this wavelength is different from the wavelength emitted by the NV centers. What other wavelengths could be used instead of the 517nm?
Its been a long time since I did any work on NV centres, but I am pretty sure you can only answer this once you've decided what you are trying to do. For example, cryogenic setups that combine lasers and RF will be quite different from an RT all optical setup.

Related to How Do Measurements and Excitation Wavelengths Affect Single NV Center Analysis?

What are NV centers?

NV centers, or nitrogen-vacancy centers, are atomic defects in diamond crystals that have unique optical and magnetic properties. They are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications, including quantum computing and sensing.

How are NV centers created?

NV centers are created by replacing a carbon atom in a diamond crystal with a nitrogen atom and removing an adjacent carbon atom. This creates an empty space, or vacancy, in the crystal lattice, which gives the NV center its unique properties.

What makes NV centers useful for quantum computing?

NV centers have a property called spin, which allows them to exist in two different states simultaneously. This makes them ideal for storing and manipulating quantum information, which is essential for quantum computing.

How are NV centers used in sensing?

NV centers can detect very small changes in their environment, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or magnetic fields. This makes them useful for sensing applications, such as detecting tiny movements in biological systems or measuring magnetic fields in materials.

What are the challenges in working with NV centers?

One of the main challenges in working with NV centers is controlling and manipulating their properties at the atomic level. This requires sophisticated equipment and techniques, as well as a deep understanding of quantum mechanics.