How Do Maxwell's Equations Account for Magnetic Monopoles?

In summary, the solution for Faraday's law for the EMF generated by a magnetic monopole current is \epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0 c^2}. The solution for Ampere-Maxwell's law for a magnetic monopole is \epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = - \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0} + \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} \right). The negative sign is due to Lenz's law and holds for both Faraday and Ampere-Maxwell's equations.
Orion1

What is the solution in Gauss' law for a magnetic monopole based upon Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations:
[tex]\Phi_E = \oint E \cdot dA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]\Phi_B = \oint B \cdot dA = 0[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = - \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_b = \oint B \cdot ds = \mu_0 \left(I_c + \epsilon_0 \frac{d \Phi_E}{dt} \right)[/tex]

Gauss' magnetic monopole:
[tex]\frac{\Phi_E}{\Phi_B} = c^2 \; \; \; q_b = q_e[/tex]
[tex]\Phi_B = \oint B \cdot dA = \frac{\Phi_E}{c^2} = \mu_0 q_b[/tex]
[tex]\boxed{\Phi_B = \oint B \cdot dA = \mu_0 q_b}[/tex]

Is this solution correct?

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole
http://www.physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph13xbook/node172.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equation is correct, but you don't need q_b=q_e for it to hold.
q_b and q_e are independent unless you get into Dirac's QED argument.

What is the solution for Faraday's law for the EMF generated by a magnetic monopole current?

Faraday magnetic monopole:
[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0 c^2}[/tex]

Ampere-Maxwell magnetic monopole:
[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0} - \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} \right)[/tex]

The negative sign was placed here because of Lenz's law:
Lenz's Law said:
The polarity of the induced emf is such that it tends to produce a current that will create a magnetic flux to oppose the change in magnetic flux through the loop

Are these solutions correct?

I think the I_b should be -I_b.

I think the I_b should be -I_b.

That criteria should hold for both a Faraday and a Ampere-Maxwell magnetic monopole, correct?

Faraday magnetic monopole:
[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = - \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0 c^2}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = \frac{1}{c^2} \left( - \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0} - \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} \right) = - \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0} + \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_e = \oint E \cdot ds = - \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \frac{I_b}{\epsilon_0} + \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} \right)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to How Do Maxwell's Equations Account for Magnetic Monopoles?

What is a Maxwell Magnetic Monopole?

A Maxwell Magnetic Monopole is a hypothetical particle that has a single magnetic pole, either a north or south pole, unlike regular magnets which have both poles. It was first proposed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in 1864.

Why is the existence of Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles important?

If proven to exist, Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles would have a profound impact on our understanding of electromagnetism and the laws of physics. They could potentially explain the symmetry between electricity and magnetism and help unify different theories in physics.

Has a Maxwell Magnetic Monopole ever been observed?

No, a Maxwell Magnetic Monopole has never been observed or detected experimentally. Researchers have searched for them in various experiments, but have not found any conclusive evidence.

How can Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles be created?

The creation of Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles is still a mystery. Some theories suggest they could be formed in high-energy particle collisions or in the early universe during the Big Bang. However, more research and experiments are needed to confirm these theories.

What are some potential applications of Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles?

If Maxwell Magnetic Monopoles are proven to exist and scientists are able to control and manipulate them, they could have numerous applications in technology. They could potentially be used in data storage, magnetic levitation, and even quantum computing.