How Do Lorentz Transformations Relate Time-like Four-Momenta in SO^{+}(1,3)?

In summary, the orbits of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group SO^{+}(1,3) can be determined by brute force calculations.
parton
I want to determine the orbits of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group [itex] SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex].

If I start with a time-like four-momentum [itex] p = (m, 0, 0, 0) [/itex]

with positive time-component [itex]p^{0} = m > 0 [/itex],

the orbit of [itex] SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex] in [itex] p [/itex] is given by:

[tex] \mathcal{O}(p) \equiv \lbrace \Lambda p \mid \Lambda \in SO^{+}(1,3) \rbrace [/tex]

Now the point is: how do you show that

[tex] \mathcal{O}(p) = \lbrace q \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex] ?

Essently, the question is: why does a Lorentz transformation [itex] \Lambda \in SO^{+}(1,3) [/itex] exist
such that two four-vectors [itex] p [/itex] and [itex] q [/itex] with [itex] p^{2} = q^{2} = m^{2} [/itex] and [itex] p^{0}, q^{0} > 0 [/itex] are related via [itex] q = \Lambda p [/itex] ?

In fact, it is possible to answer my question(s) by brute-force calculations. But I am searching for an "elegant way", e.g. with the help of group theory.

I already searched in the literature, but in most cases it seems to be "trivial" for the authors
and I see now explicit proof.

Does anyone know of anything like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that the very definition of the group SO+(1,3)?

I agree with the above. It's trivial according to those authors because it's the definition.

dauto said:
Isn't that the very definition of the group SO+(1,3)?

No, it is not the definition of [itex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex]. It is:

[tex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) = \lbrace \Lambda \in \mathrm{GL}(4, \mathbb{R}) \mid \Lambda^{t} \eta \Lambda = \eta, \mathrm{det} \, \Lambda = 1, \Lambda^{0} \, _{0} \geq 1 \rbrace [/tex]
The elements of this group will not change [itex] p^{2} [/itex] and the sign of [itex] p^{0} [/itex] by definition.

So we can say that the set
[tex] \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex] remains invariant under Lorentz transformations.

But this does not necessarily mean that for any two fourvectors [itex]p, q [/itex] with [itex]p^{2} = q^{2} = m^{2}[/itex] and [itex] p^{0}, q^{0} [/itex] there exists a transformation [itex] \Lambda \in \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex] with [itex] q = \Lambda p [/itex]. In other words this would mean that [itex] \mathrm{SO}^{+}(1,3) [/itex] acts transitivly on [itex] \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/itex]. And you need to show this in order to proof that
[tex] \mathcal{O}_{p} = \lbrace q \in \mathbb{M} \mid q^{2} = m^{2}, q^{0} > 0 \rbrace [/tex]

Actually I also don't see how to do this without using brute force. I think it is not that trivial.

I can provide a response to this content by first explaining the context of the problem. The Lorentz group, denoted as SO^{+}(1,3), is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of special relativity. It is composed of all the Lorentz transformations that preserve the space-time interval, which is a fundamental concept in special relativity. The proper orthochronous Lorentz group, SO^{+}(1,3), is a subgroup of the Lorentz group that includes only those transformations that preserve the direction of time and have a positive determinant.

Now, to determine the orbits of this group, we can start with a time-like four-momentum vector, p = (m, 0, 0, 0), where m is the mass of the particle and the time-component p^{0} = m is positive. The orbit of SO^{+}(1,3) in p is then given by the set of all Lorentz transformations, \Lambda, multiplied by p. This can be denoted as \mathcal{O}(p) = \lbrace \Lambda p \mid \Lambda \in SO^{+}(1,3) \rbrace.

The question then arises, why does a Lorentz transformation exist that can relate two four-vectors, p and q, with the same mass, m, and positive time-components? The answer lies in the fact that the Lorentz group is a continuous group, meaning that it is a group of transformations that can be described by a continuous set of parameters. In the case of SO^{+}(1,3), these parameters are the six elements of the Lorentz matrix.

Therefore, there exists a continuous path of Lorentz transformations that can connect any two points in the orbit \mathcal{O}(p), including the point q = (m, 0, 0, 0). This is known as the orbit-stabilizer theorem, which states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of a group and the cosets of its subgroup. In this case, the elements of the Lorentz group correspond to the cosets of the subgroup SO^{+}(1,3).

In conclusion, the existence of a Lorentz transformation that can relate two four-vectors with the same mass and positive time-components is a consequence of the continuous nature of the Lorentz group

Related to How Do Lorentz Transformations Relate Time-like Four-Momenta in SO^{+}(1,3)?

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical group that describes the transformations of space and time in special relativity. It is named after the physicist Hendrik Lorentz.

2. What are the orbits of the Lorentz group?

The orbits of the Lorentz group are the set of all possible transformations that can be applied to a given point in spacetime. These transformations include boosts and rotations, which can change the coordinates of the point.

3. How are the orbits of the Lorentz group represented?

The orbits of the Lorentz group are usually represented using matrices, which are mathematical objects that can perform transformations on points in spacetime. These matrices can be used to calculate the coordinates of a point after a transformation has been applied.

4. What is the significance of the orbits of the Lorentz group?

The orbits of the Lorentz group are significant because they describe the fundamental symmetries of spacetime in special relativity. These symmetries are important for understanding the behavior of particles and objects moving at high speeds.

5. How are the orbits of the Lorentz group related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The orbits of the Lorentz group are directly related to Einstein's theory of relativity, as they describe the transformations of space and time that are necessary for the theory to hold true. Without these transformations, the principles of relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light, would not hold in all reference frames.