How Do Impedance Minima Relate to Coaxial Cable's Speed of Propagation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving an equation to calculate the speed of propagation and dielectric constant for a coaxial cable. The conversation mentions considering the case where the characteristic impedance is zero and references Feynman's book "Lectures on Physics" as a source. It is suggested to refer to an engineering textbook on Electromagnetic Theory for the necessary equations. The concept of impedance minima is also brought up and further clarification is requested.
CNX
I know my impedance minima and their associated frequencies for a particular coaxial cable. How would I go about deriving an equation that will let me calculate the speed of propagation and the dielectric constant?

My only hint is to consider the case for which Z = 0 but I don't know where to start.

I only have Feynman section 24-1 as a reference and he doesn't seem to cover this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need more information to help you. For example, I assume that you are considering TEM? The characteristic impedance ]i[vanishes[/i]?! I didn't know that Feynman wrote a book on transmission lines - what's the name of this book?

turin said:
I need more information to help you. For example, I assume that you are considering TEM? The characteristic impedance ]i[vanishes[/i]?! I didn't know that Feynman wrote a book on transmission lines - what's the name of this book?

He's referring to Feynman's Lectures on Physics.

CNX: Refer to any engineering textbook on Electromagnetic Theory, specifically the chapter on Transmission Lines. For instance, you can read Cheng's book. All the equations you're looking for, are there.

Can you tell me what you mean by impedance minima...impedance as seen into the line at a point from the load is a function of the characteristic impedance, the load impedance, the operating frequency and the position coordinate (or length). Minima wrt what?

Related to How Do Impedance Minima Relate to Coaxial Cable's Speed of Propagation?

1. What is the meaning of coaxial speed of propagation?

The coaxial speed of propagation refers to the speed at which an electrical signal travels down a coaxial cable. It is the rate at which the electromagnetic waves travel through the cable's inner conductor and outer shield, and is typically measured in units of meters per second.

2. How is the coaxial speed of propagation determined?

The coaxial speed of propagation is determined by the relative permittivity (dielectric constant) and permeability of the materials used in the construction of the coaxial cable. These properties affect the speed at which the electromagnetic waves travel through the cable.

3. What factors can affect the coaxial speed of propagation?

Factors that can affect the coaxial speed of propagation include the type of dielectric material used in the cable, the cable's temperature, and the frequency of the signal being transmitted through the cable. Changes in these factors can cause variations in the speed of propagation.

4. How does the coaxial speed of propagation compare to other types of transmission media?

The coaxial speed of propagation is generally faster than other types of transmission media, such as twisted pair or fiber optic cables. This is because coaxial cables have a lower capacitance and inductance, allowing for faster signal transmission.

5. Can the coaxial speed of propagation be improved?

Yes, the coaxial speed of propagation can be improved by using materials with higher relative permittivity and permeability, as well as by minimizing the length and bends in the cable. Proper installation and maintenance of the cable can also help maintain the speed of propagation over time.