How do I use Latex in MS Word?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter hkBattousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: In summary, there are several options for writing mathematical expressions in Microsoft Word. One option is to use MathType or Equation Editor, which do not use LaTeX but allow for writing mathematical expressions directly in the document. Another option is to use an add-in like tex2ppt, which may also work in Word. MathType can also be integrated with Word, allowing for the use of TeX directly in the document. It is important to note that MathType is not compatible with 64-bit versions of Office. OpenOffice also has its own system for writing mathematical expressions. However, it seems that Word 2010 does come with its own equation editor, which can be accessed through the Insert menu.
hkBattousai
Is there any patch, add-in, etc for writing mathematical expressions in Microsft Word?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathType or Equation Editor. It's not LaTeX, but it does mathematical expressions.

The MS Word from the Office 2007 certainly contains fields with which you can write formulas.

I'm not sure about Word, but I recall using an add-in for Powerpoint, which, I think, was called 'tex2ppt', that allowed you to type LaTeX. Word and Powerpoint share the architecture, so it might work in Word too.

I'm looking for something like an add-in for MS Office, or even for something for OpenOffice will suffice.

I have just installed MathType, and it looks like to be a stand alone application, it is didn't integrate with MS Word.

Office doesn't support LaTeX. You can either use a LaTeX editor/typesetter and do things that way, or you can do something like EquationEditor which, IIRC, is built-in. MathType also let's you drag formulae into Word... or at least the older versions did.

Go here:

http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php"

download the gif and include thi picture in your document.

Last edited by a moderator:
hkBattousai said:
I'm looking for something like an add-in for MS Office, or even for something for OpenOffice will suffice.

I have just installed MathType, and it looks like to be a stand alone application, it is didn't integrate with MS Word.

MathType definitely integrates with Word. There will be a MathType toolbar & menu or a MathType tab on the Ribbon, depending on your version of Office. You don't say which version of Word you're using, or even what platform (Windows or Macintosh), but MathType for Windows let's you type TeX directly into your Word document, and you convert it to a MathType equation with a shortcut key (Alt+\) or by clicking a menu command. You can convert it back and edit the TeX if you want.

If you're using Macintosh, this feature should be available in the next version of MathType for Macintosh, expected early next year. Note that even after the release of MathType 6.7 for Macintosh, this feature won't be available in Word 2008, but should be available in Word 2004 and 2011.

bobm said:
MathType definitely integrates with Word. There will be a MathType toolbar & menu or a MathType tab on the Ribbon, depending on your version of Office. You don't say which version of Word you're using, or even what platform (Windows or Macintosh), but MathType for Windows let's you type TeX directly into your Word document, and you convert it to a MathType equation with a shortcut key (Alt+\) or by clicking a menu command. You can convert it back and edit the TeX if you want.

If you're using Macintosh, this feature should be available in the next version of MathType for Macintosh, expected early next year. Note that even after the release of MathType 6.7 for Macintosh, this feature won't be available in Word 2008, but should be available in Word 2004 and 2011.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Word 2010 and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Here is a screenshot:
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4017/word2010.th.png
I don't see any toolbar, menu or ribbon.

Right. There should be a MathType tab on your ribbon in Word 2010. There are 3 pieces to this puzzle though.
  1. The version of MathType must be compatible with Word 2010. That means it must be MathType 6.7 or 6.7a.
  2. You must be running Office 2010 32-bit. MathType is not compatible with 64-bit Office. Even Microsoft doesn't recommend using 64-bit Office unless you absolutely positively need it. See http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/office2010_64bit.htm" .
  3. MathType must be installed after Office. If you had MathType installed, then upgraded Office, just reinstall MathType.

Ouups, I'm using 64-bit version of Office...

Try poking around the different menus. Insert, perhaps?

hkBattousai said:
something for OpenOffice

OpenOffice has its own system, in some aspects similar to LaTeX.

fss said:
Try poking around the different menus. Insert, perhaps?

Looked everywhere, unfortunately nothing found... :(

Doesn't MS Word 2010 come with its own equation editor (which looks much better than Math Type)?

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/add-math-equations-with-word-2010-equation-editor/

Related to How do I use Latex in MS Word?

1. How do I install and set up Latex in MS Word?

To install and set up Latex in MS Word, you will need to first download and install the "Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS" from the Microsoft website. Then, you will need to download and install a Latex distribution such as MiKTeX or TeX Live. Once these are installed, you can access Latex functions in MS Word by clicking on the "Save As" option and selecting "PDF or XPS" as the file type.

2. Can I use Latex commands in MS Word?

Yes, you can use Latex commands in MS Word by using the "Equation" function. Simply click on the "Insert" tab and select "Equation" to open a drop-down menu with various Latex commands and symbols that you can use in your document.

3. How do I insert equations using Latex in MS Word?

To insert equations using Latex in MS Word, click on the "Insert" tab and select "Equation" to open the equation editor. From there, you can use Latex commands or the equation builder to create your desired equation. You can also use the "Equation Tools" tab to customize the appearance of your equation.

4. Can I convert my existing MS Word document to Latex?

Yes, you can convert your existing MS Word document to Latex by using a conversion tool such as Pandoc. This tool will automatically convert your document into a Latex file, which you can then edit and compile using a Latex editor.

5. How do I add references and citations in Latex using MS Word?

To add references and citations in Latex using MS Word, you will need to use a reference management tool such as Zotero or Mendeley. These tools allow you to easily insert citations and automatically generate a reference list in your document. You can then use Latex commands to format the citations and references according to your preferred style.