How Do I Understand and Improve Wireless Antenna Strength?

In summary: The receiver sensitivity is the sensitivity of the card to wireless signals. The higher the dBm value, the more sensitive the card is to wireless signals.
buddyholly9999
Ok. I'm currently trying to understand antenna strength in the wireless cards you find for your computer. Let's say that I have a wireless http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706706&Sku=D700-2286" with a certain "receiver sensitivity". How exactly do I read this?
I'm trying to find an explanation or perhaps a reference to something that can explain this to me. So if I wanted to find another card, perhaps with a stronger antenna...or one that was better equipped to receive signals better what exactly would I be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
"OFDM" refers to a specific kind of digital modulation, orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing. The available spectrum is broken up into a large number of small, adjacent channels. Each channel is then used to carry a single BPSK, PAM, or QAM signal.

PER refers to packed encoding rules, which is essentially a "data compression strategy" used to reduce the number of symbols needed to transmit a given piece of information.

The sensitivity itself is given in dBm, or decibels with respect to one milliwatt.

1 dBm is equivalent to one milliwatt.
-10 dBm is equivalent to 0.1 milliwatt.
-20 dBm is equivalent to 0.01 milliwatt.
-70 dBm is equivalent to 0.0000001 milliwatt, or about one tenth of one billionth of a watt.

The more negative the receiver's sensitity spec, in dBm, the more sensitive is the receiver.

- Warren

So I wanted let's say a PCI card or USB. I could just look at the receiver sensitivity and find one in which the dBm is more negative and that card would essentially pick up my wireless network...let's on the other end of my house better than the PCMCIA card I gave a link to above?

There are many other factors. I believe the specified value is actually the receiver sensitivity, and does not include issues like antenna directionality, upstream analog processing losses, etc. The digital receiver itself is an integrated circuit at the end of a long analog signal path.

I personally would not make a determination of which card to get solely by its receiver sensitivity spec, unless one card's sensitivity is more than, say, 3-6 dB better than an another's.

Keep in mind that WiFi standards include a wide range of speeds. As the signal degrades in quality, smaller signal constellations are used -- you'll still receive network service, but it'll be lower speed.

I'd suspect that most consumer wireless products are relatively similar in range performance. If you're having trouble with one brand of card, you're more likely to solve the problem by moving the access point than you are by buying a different wireless card.

- Warren

Related to How Do I Understand and Improve Wireless Antenna Strength?

1. What is wireless antenna strength?

Wireless antenna strength refers to the ability of an antenna to receive and transmit signals effectively over a wireless network. It is measured in decibels (dB) and represents the power and range of the antenna's signal.

2. How is wireless antenna strength measured?

Wireless antenna strength is measured using a unit called decibel isotropic (dBi). This unit compares the strength of an antenna's signal to an imaginary antenna that radiates equally in all directions. The higher the dBi, the stronger the antenna's signal.

3. What factors affect wireless antenna strength?

Several factors can affect the strength of a wireless antenna. These include the antenna's design and construction, the frequency of the wireless signal, and any obstructions or interference in the surrounding environment.

4. Can wireless antenna strength be improved?

Yes, there are some ways to improve wireless antenna strength. One way is to use a high-gain antenna, which has a higher dBi rating and can transmit and receive signals over a longer distance. Another way is to position the antenna in a clear, unobstructed location to minimize interference.

5. How does wireless antenna strength impact network performance?

The strength of a wireless antenna can greatly impact network performance. A stronger antenna can provide a more stable and stronger connection, resulting in faster data transfer speeds and a more reliable network. On the other hand, a weaker antenna may result in slower speeds, dropped connections, and overall poor network performance.