How Do I Solve Polynomial Division and Trigonometric Identities?

• Thread starter Jimmy84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
This gives the result 5 - x.In summary, when dividing polynomials, it is important to rewrite them with the highest power of the variable first and then decreasing powers from there. In the second problem involving trigonometric identities, we can factor out a^2 from a^2-a^2 sin^2 theta, and then use the property \sqrt{xy} = \sqrt{x} \sqrt{y} to split the square root.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

I forgot how to divide this

1.) x^2 + 15 -8x divided by 3 - x

I don't know how to start since 3 has nothing to do with x^2.
The result from the book is 5 - x.

I also don't understand this problem which uses trigonometric identities.
if x = a sin theta then

2.) square rt of a^2 - x^2

= square rt of a^2 - a^2 sin^2 theta
= square rt of a^2 square rt of 1 - sin^2 theta
= a cos theta .

I don't understand why does

square rt of a^2 - a^2 sin^2 theta

= square rt of a^2 square rt of 1 - sin^2 theta ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) When dividing, rewrite all the polynomials with highest power of x first, then decreasing powers of x from there.

2) Firstly, we can factor a^2-a^2 sin^2 theta as a^2( 1 - sin^2 theta).

Then we can break up the squareroot using [itex]\sqrt{xy} = \sqrt{x} \sqrt{y}[/itex].

Thanks by ordering the polynomials and using syntethic division I have 3 dividing 1 -8 +15 which equals x - 5 ?

Jimmy84 said:
Thanks by ordering the polynomials and using syntethic division I have 3 dividing 1 -8 +15 which equals x - 5 ?
No. Dividing x2 - 8x + 15 by 3 - x is equivalent to dividing -x2 + 8x - 15 by x - 3.

Related to How Do I Solve Polynomial Division and Trigonometric Identities?

1. What is a division?

A division is a mathematical operation that involves splitting a number into equal parts. It is represented by the symbol ÷ or / and is the inverse of multiplication.

2. What is a problem in math?

In math, a problem refers to a question or situation that requires a mathematical solution or explanation. It can involve a variety of operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and more.

3. How do you solve a division problem?

To solve a division problem, you need to divide the dividend (the number being divided) by the divisor (the number that is dividing). This can be done using long division, short division, or mental division methods.

4. Why is division important in math?

Division is important in math because it helps us solve real-life problems involving sharing, grouping, and scaling. It is also an essential concept for understanding fractions, ratios, and proportions.

5. What is the relationship between division and multiplication?

Division and multiplication are inverse operations, meaning they undo each other. For example, if you divide 12 by 3, you get 4, and if you multiply 4 by 3, you get 12. This relationship is often referred to as the division-multiplication fact family.