How do I solve parametric and polar curve problems in Calculus 2.1?

In summary, the conversation includes three questions in Calculus 2 about finding points with a given slope, converting from polar to cartesian form, and finding the area between two curves. The expert provides tips and solutions for each question, while also addressing discrepancies in the given answers.
Jboeding
Hey Everyone!

I have three questions that I do not know how to approach/solve. I've been checking online, the textbook, etc, and nothing. This is Calculus 2.1. Find the points with the given slope.
x=9cos(theta), y=9sin(theta), slope = 1/2.

Answer: (-9rt5/5, 18rt5/5), (9rt5/5, -18rt5/5)

Notes: My idea would be to set them equal, solve for theta, getting (pi/4) and (5pi/4). Next step: no idea.2. Write this is cartesian:
r = (4)/(3cos(theta) - 5 sin (theta))

Notes: I've never done a problem like this, and haven't found a similar one in the book or online, so I have no clue how to do this.

Answer: y = (4/5) - (3/5)x3. Find the area between the circle r=9 and the cartioid r=9(1-cos(theta))

Answer: ((405pi)/4) - 162

Notes: I set them equal to each other, got theta = to 0 and pi. But, the points of intersection are going to be (pi/2) and (3pi/2). I use the intersection points for my bounds in the formula: (1/2)Integral ((r2)^2-(r1)^2) from -pi/2 to pi/2.I've been stuck on these 3 problems for HOURS.
Any input, whether it is tips or the whole problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help everyone.
- Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Jboeding!

2. Write this in cartesian: .[tex]r \:=\:\frac{4}{3\cos\theta - 5\sin\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Clear the denominator: }\;3\underbrace{r\cos\theta}_{\text{This is }x} - 5\underbrace{r\sin\theta}_{\text{This is }y}\;=\;4[/tex]

[tex]\text{Therefore: }\;3x - 5y \:=\:4[/tex]

Hi Jacob,

I'll give you tips for all three problems.

Jboeding said:
Hey Everyone!

I have three questions that I do not know how to approach/solve. I've been checking online, the textbook, etc, and nothing. This is Calculus 2.1. Find the points with the given slope.
x=9cos(theta), y=9sin(theta), slope = 1/2.

Answer: (-9rt5/5, 18rt5/5), (9rt5/5, -18rt5/5)

Notes: My idea would be to set them equal, solve for theta, getting (pi/4) and (5pi/4). Next step: no idea.

The slope of the curve at $(x, y)$ is

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}} = \frac{9\cos{\theta}}{-9\sin{\theta}} = -\cot{\theta}$

Since the slope is also $\frac{1}{2}$ at $(x, y)$, we have $\cot{\theta} = -\frac{1}{2}$. Drawing a reference triangle if necessary, we see that either $\cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$ and $\sin{\theta} = -\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$ or $\cos{\theta} = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$ and $\sin{\theta} = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$. We get the two answers written by plugging these values in and rationalizing denominators.

Jboeding said:
2. Write this is cartesian:
r = (4)/(3cos(theta) - 5 sin (theta))

Notes: I've never done a problem like this, and haven't found a similar one in the book or online, so I have no clue how to do this.

Answer: y = (4/5) - (3/5)x

To go from polar to Cartesian, use $\frac{x}{r} = \cos{\theta}$ and $\frac{y}{r} = \sin{\theta}$.

Jboeding said:
3. Find the area between the circle r=9 and the cartioid r=9(1-cos(theta))

Answer: ((405pi)/4) - 162

Notes: I set them equal to each other, got theta = to 0 and pi. But, the points of intersection are going to be (pi/2) and (3pi/2). I use the intersection points for my bounds in the formula: (1/2)Integral ((r2)^2-(r1)^2) from -pi/2 to pi/2.

I don't think the given answer is right: it should be $162 - \frac{81\pi}{4}$. When you set them equal to each other, you end up with the equation $\cos{\theta} = 0$. So $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$ or $\theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}$. These give the limits of integration. By drawing the two curves, we see that the circle $r = 9$ is the outer curve and the cardioid $r = 9 (1 - \cos{\theta})$ is the inner curve. So the area of the region between these curves is

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 81(1-(1-\cos{\theta})^2)\, d\theta$,

which turns out to be $162 - \frac{81\pi}{4}$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
I don't think the given answer is right: it should be $162 - \frac{81\pi}{4}$. When you set them equal to each other, you end up with the equation $\cos{\theta} = 0$. So $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$ or $\theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}$. These give the limits of integration. By drawing the two curves, we see that the circle $r = 9$ is the outer curve and the cardioid $r = 9 (1 - \cos{\theta})$ is the inner curve. So the area of the region between these curves is

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 81(1-(1-\cos{\theta})^2)\, d\theta$,

I think the problem is poorly worded, perhaps by "between" they mean the area bounded by the "tighter" of the two curves, which in this case would be:

$\displaystyle \dfrac{81}{2}\left(\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (1 - \cos\theta)^2\ d\theta + \int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2} d\theta\right)$ <--edited after the fact

in other words, the INTERSECTION of the two regions.

Last edited:
Deveno said:
I think the problem is poorly worded, perhaps by "between" they mean the area bounded by the "tighter" of the two curves, which in this case would be:

$\displaystyle 81\left(\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (1 - \cos\theta)^2\ d\theta + \int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2} d\theta\right)$

Hey,
Why are both integrals multiplied by (81/2) and not just the first integral of where the 9^2 originated from?

But yeah, the answer is correct.
Big thanks :D

- Jacob

- - - Updated - - -

soroban said:
Hello, Jboeding!

[tex]\text{Clear the denominator: }\;3\underbrace{r\cos\theta}_{\text{This is }x} - 5\underbrace{r\sin\theta}_{\text{This is }y}\;=\;4[/tex]

[tex]\text{Therefore: }\;3x - 5y \:=\:4[/tex]

Hey,

In case you tried solving the problem, and couldn't get the answer supplied, I wrote the question down wrong. It was a (+) in the denominator instead of the (-).

Thanks for the help!
- Jacob

Euge said:
Hi Jacob,

I'll give you tips for all three problems.
The slope of the curve at $(x, y)$ is

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}} = \frac{9\cos{\theta}}{9\sin{\theta}} = -\cot{\theta}$

Since the slope is also $\frac{1}{2}$ at $(x, y)$, we have $\cot{\theta} = -\frac{1}{2}$. Drawing a reference triangle if necessary, we see that either $\cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$ and $\sin{\theta} = -\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$ or $\cos{\theta} = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}$ and $\sin{\theta} = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}$. We get the two answers written by plugging these values in and rationalizing denominators.
To go from polar to Cartesian, use $\frac{x}{r} = \cos{\theta}$ and $\frac{y}{r} = \sin{\theta}$.

Thank you for your thorough reply to all my questions!
I now have a better understanding, your answer helped a lot!
Question 3 was very difficult to understand.

For clarification (and to ease tension/questions, haha)... Here is the exact question:
"Find the area of the region common to the circle and the cardioid."
Question was solved in the post by another member if you are curious.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
- Jacob

Deveno said:

$\displaystyle 81\left(\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} (1 - \cos\theta)^2\ d\theta + \int_{\pi/2}^{3\pi/2} d\theta\right)$

Yes, I was thinking the question was asking for the area of the region that lies inside the circle $r = 9$ and outside the cardioid $r = 9(1-\cos\theta)$. But your answer turns out to be $\frac{405\pi}{2} - 324$, which is twice answer given by Jacob. I believe the area should be represented instead as

$81(\int_0^{\pi/2} (1-\cos\theta)^2\, d\theta + \int_{\pi/2}^\pi \, d\theta)$.

This does give Jacob's answer.

Euge said:
Yes, I was thinking the question was asking for the area of the region that lies inside the circle $r = 9$ and outside the cardioid $r = 9(1-\cos\theta)$. But your answer turns out to be $\frac{405\pi}{2} - 324$, which is twice answer given by Jacob. I believe the area should be represented instead as

Yeah, except that is it 81/2. I still do not quite understand why you multiply both integrals by that.

- Jacob

Jboeding said:
Yeah, except that is it 81/2. I still do not quite understand why you multiply both integrals by that.

- Jacob

I used the fact that the region is symmetric with respect to the x-axis. So the area you want is twice the area of the portion of the region above the x-axis. That's why you see the constant 81, rather than 81/2. The area of the region above the x-axis is

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{\pi/2} 81(1-\cos\theta)^2\, d\theta + \frac{1}{2} \int_{\pi/2}^\pi 81\, d\theta$.

The total area is twice this number, so the 1/2 goes away, giving the expression I had written.

Euge said:

I forgot the factor of 1/2 in front. The limits of integration are what they should be.

Jboeding said:

- Jacob

For a polar curve:

$r = f(\theta)$ the integral of the sector swept out from $\theta = a$ to $\theta = b$, is:

$\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\int_a^b r^2\ d\theta=\dfrac{1}{2} \int_a^b (f(\theta))^2\ d\theta$

Basically, instead of summing a bunch of RECTANGLES of height $f(x)$ and width $dx$, we are summing a bunch of "pie slices" of radius $r = f(\theta)$, each of which has area:

$\pi r^2\cdot \dfrac{d\theta}{2\pi} = \dfrac{1}{2}r^2\ d\theta$ (the $\pi$'s cancel).

In this case, both functions are of the form:

$f(\theta) = 9\cdot\text{something}$

so when we square we get a constant factor of 81, that we can put "out front" with the 1/2, to get 81/2.

Deveno said:
I forgot the factor of 1/2 in front. The limits of integration are what they should be.

I see, thank you so much. It's funny how the other way still gets the same answer though, haha.

- Jacob

Related to How do I solve parametric and polar curve problems in Calculus 2.1?

1. What is the difference between parametric and polar curves?

Parametric curves are defined by equations that describe the x and y coordinates of a point on the curve in terms of a third parameter, typically represented by t. Polar curves, on the other hand, are defined by equations that relate the distance from the origin (r) and angle (θ) of a point on the curve.

2. How do you graph a parametric curve?

To graph a parametric curve, plot points by plugging various values of t into the x and y equations. Then connect the points to create a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer program to plot the curve.

3. What are some examples of parametric and polar curves?

Some common examples of parametric curves include the cycloid, the cardioid, and the parabola. Examples of polar curves include the rose curves, the lemniscates, and the spiral of Archimedes.

4. How do you convert a polar curve into a parametric equation?

To convert a polar curve into a parametric equation, use the equations x = r*cos(θ) and y = r*sin(θ) to express the x and y coordinates in terms of r and θ. Then substitute these equations into the original polar equation to eliminate r. Finally, solve for θ in terms of t to get the parametric equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of parametric and polar curves?

Parametric and polar curves have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, parametric curves are used to model the motion of objects in projectile motion problems while polar curves are used to represent the orbits of planets and satellites. They are also used in designing roller coasters, creating animations in video games, and generating complex 3D shapes.