How do I solve elastic collisions?

In summary, two balls, one weighing 2kg and moving at 3m/s and the other weighing 4kg and at rest, undergo an elastic collision. Using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the velocities of the balls after the collision can be calculated. The equations 2vf1 + vf2 = 3 and vf1^2 + 2vf2^2 = 9 can be solved to find the velocities of the balls, and the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.
Brainiac11
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
A 2-kg ball is moving at 3 m/s toward the right. It elastically collides with a 4-kg ball that is initially at rest. Calculate the velocities of the balls after the collision.

I know that kinetic energy is conserved in elastic conditions, but I don't know how to use that to calculate this. I tried solving this using the conservation of momentum, but i ended up with 2(3) + 4(0) = 2vf1 + 4vf2 and I can't solve for both variables. I know PE = mgh and KE = (1/2) mv2

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in all collisions, in which there is no external force, momentum is preserved and that is what your equation, 2(3)+ 4(0)= 6= 4vf1+ 2vf2 or, dividing through by 2, 2vf1+ vf2= 3. And, as you say, in an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved. Since this doesn't involve change in height, the "potential energy" equation is irrelevant. And, as you say, kinetic energy is "[itex](1/2)mv^2[/itex]" the total kinetic energy before the collision is [itex](1/2)(2)(9)+ (1/2)(4)(0)= 9[/itex]. After the collision, with speeds vf1 and vf2, the kinetic energy is [itex](1/2)(2)(vf1^2)+ (1/2)(4)(vf2^2)= vf1^2+ 2vf2^2[/itex]. Since the kinetic energy does not change, [itex]vf1^2+ 2vf2^2= 9[/itex].

Solve the two equations [itex]2v1+ vf2= 3[/itex] and [itex]vf1^2+ 2vf2^2= 9[/itex] for vf1 and vf2.

Thank you so much. I follow all of your work and understand it!

Last edited:

Related to How do I solve elastic collisions?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and the total momentum of the system before and after the collision are equal.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of objects after an elastic collision?

The velocity of objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and is instead converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and no energy is lost.

4. How do you solve for the angle of deflection in an elastic collision?

The angle of deflection in an elastic collision can be solved using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations, as well as the law of conservation of angular momentum. This equation takes into account the masses, velocities, and initial angles of the objects involved.

5. Are there any real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of elastic collisions such as billiard balls colliding, two cars colliding on a frictionless surface, or a game of pool where the balls bounce off each other without losing any energy. These examples demonstrate the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in elastic collisions.