How do I solve basic kinematic problems with projectile motion?

• Thread starter mtsac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an arrow being shot into the air and reaching a certain height after a given time. The variables and formulas used to solve the problem are listed and there is confusion regarding the initial speed of the arrow. The conversation also suggests a resource for finding the equations needed to solve the problem. The acceleration due to gravity is mentioned as well.
mtsac
I understand many of you may take me for a fool since this is a practically elementary physics problem but I really need some help finding out the right formulas or formula to solve it. No answers though, I actually want to learn this stuff.

Problem:
You shoot an arrow into the air. After 1.2 seconds the arrow has gone straight upward to a height of 32.0 m above its launch point. Ignore air resistance.

(a) What was the arrow's initial speed?
(b) How long did it take for the arrow to first reach a height of 16 m above its launch point?

So far, the variables I have are as following:

Δx= 32m
Δt= 1.2s
(pretty obvious)

I calculated the average velocity to be 26.66m/s using the formula v=Δx/Δt. Thus,making the final velocity 53.33m/s? Yes/no? For acceleration, I got 5.53m/s^2, but it just doesn't add up.

Above all else, I find the initial speed question particularly confusing. Can one not assume that the arrow began with an initial speed of 0m/s since it was in a resting state? Or is one supposed to assume the initial speed is the speed the arrow reaches almost instantaneously after it is launched?

I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest going to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015 and looking at the equations in the first section, 1D Kinematics. The acceleration here is acceleration due to gravity, so that velocity is decreasing at 9.81 m/s each second as the arrow travels upwards, reaching an instantaneous velocity of zero at its highest point, and then increases by 9.81 m/s each second as it falls.

So, if you want to deal with the arrow's upward journey only, its initial velocity is unknown, but its final velocity is zero. This initial velocity you are seeking is the velocity at the instant of launch, for, as you say, the arrow is at rest with respect to the bow just before this.

Hope this helps ... don't be self-conscious. Physics is beautiful, and even the best had to muddle through one-dimensional motion at some point. I still do lots of muddling.

Don't forget that the acceleration is negative.

Related to How do I solve basic kinematic problems with projectile motion?

1. What is a basic kinematic problem?

A basic kinematic problem is a type of problem in physics that involves analyzing the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It typically involves using equations and principles of kinematics to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at a specific time.

2. What are the three fundamental equations used in solving basic kinematic problems?

The three fundamental equations used in solving basic kinematic problems are the displacement equation (d = v0t + 1/2at2), the velocity equation (v = v0 + at), and the acceleration equation (v2 = v02 + 2ad). These equations relate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object to its initial values, time, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity describes its motion at a specific point in time.

4. How do you solve a basic kinematic problem using the three fundamental equations?

To solve a basic kinematic problem, you first need to identify what is given and what is asked for in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate equation based on the given information and rearrange it to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable using basic algebraic principles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about basic kinematic problems?

One common misconception about basic kinematic problems is that acceleration always refers to an increase in speed. In reality, acceleration can also refer to a decrease in speed or a change in direction. Another misconception is that the initial velocity is always equal to zero, when in fact, it can have any value depending on the starting conditions of the object's motion.