How do i sketch the equipotential lines ?

In summary, to sketch the equipotential lines for an isolated negatively charged particle, the lines must be perpendicular to the electric field lines. The electric field lines should be drawn according to the rules in your textbook, starting on a positive charge and ending on a negative charge. As there is only one negatively charged particle, the lines will begin at infinity and point radially inwards towards the particle. The tail of the arrow represents infinity and the point of the arrow points towards the particle.
mich_v87
How can i sketch the equipotential lines for an isolated negatively charged particule?

Physics news on Phys.org
the equipotential lines are perpendicular to the electric field lines.

and in which way are oriented the electriv field lines ?

Your textbook should have rules for drawing electric field lines or something like that. It says that the lines must begin on a positive charge and terminate on a negative charge. So that means that since you have one negatively charged particle, the lines will begin infinitely far away and will be directed radially inwards towards the particle. That is, the tail of the arrow is at infinity and the point of the arrow is pointing towards the particle.

thanks pal ur the best :)

Related to How do i sketch the equipotential lines ?

1. How do I determine the location of equipotential lines?

The location of equipotential lines can be determined by first identifying the points on the surface where the potential is constant. This can be done by using a potential meter or by solving the mathematical equation for potential at different points on the surface.

2. How do I sketch equipotential lines for a specific potential value?

To sketch equipotential lines for a specific potential value, first determine the points on the surface where the potential is equal to that value. Then, connect these points with a smooth curve to create the equipotential line.

3. How do I know the direction of the equipotential lines?

The direction of the equipotential lines is perpendicular to the electric field lines. Electric field lines point in the direction of the electric force, so the equipotential lines will be at right angles to them.

4. Can I sketch equipotential lines for any type of field, or only electric fields?

Equipotential lines can be sketched for any type of field, as long as the concept of potential can be applied. This includes electric, gravitational, and magnetic fields.

5. How can I use equipotential lines to study a field?

Equipotential lines can be used to visualize and understand the behavior of a field. They can show the strength and direction of the field, as well as the shape of the field. They can also be used to calculate the work done by the field on a charged particle moving between two points.