How do i relate pressure drop with h ?

In summary, to relate pressure drop with "h", you can use the equation Pressure = Force/Area and the equation Shear Stress = viscosity x velocity profile. The viscosity can be obtained from a table and the velocity profile can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations. The Reynolds number can then be used to determine if the flow is laminar or turbulent.
l2krence
How do i relate pressure drop with "h"?

http://www.2shared.com/document/L4fH2kdT/HES_2340_Assignment_1.html

Homework Statement

Hi,
Regarding to the link above,
I have a question on my homework on Q2 and Q4. In Q4, What pressure shall i consider in this situation? Shall i include the P,atm? I know there's 1.334N from top and shall i convert this to pressure?
And related it to shear stress?

For the velocity distribution. How do I use Navier-Stroke Equation on here to get the velocity diagram to see whether it's a laminar flow or turbulent flow.

Homework Equations

Shear stress = viscosity x velocity profile
Pressure = Force/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to sketch a velocity in Q2 and relate the pressure drop with clearance height,h includes the Length of cylinder and weight of piston.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the Pressure, you can calculate it using the equation Pressure = Force/Area, where the Force is the 1.334N from the top and the Area is the cross sectional area of the cylinder. For the shear stress, you can use the equation Shear Stress = viscosity x velocity profile. The viscosity can be obtained from the table in the link and the velocity profile can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations. Once you have the velocity profile, you can then determine if the flow is laminar or turbulent depending on the Reynolds number.

Related to How do i relate pressure drop with h ?

What is pressure drop?

Pressure drop is the decrease in pressure that occurs when a fluid flows through a pipe or duct. It is caused by the resistance of the pipe or duct to the flow of the fluid.

What factors affect pressure drop?

The factors that affect pressure drop include the fluid velocity, viscosity, density, and the geometry and roughness of the pipe or duct. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or changes in direction can also impact pressure drop.

How does pressure drop relate to flow rate?

Pressure drop and flow rate are closely related, as an increase in flow rate typically results in an increase in pressure drop. This is because a higher flow rate means a greater volume of fluid is passing through the pipe, which requires more energy and results in a larger pressure drop.

Can pressure drop be calculated?

Yes, pressure drop can be calculated using various equations and formulas that take into account the factors mentioned above. These calculations can help predict pressure drop in a specific system and aid in designing and optimizing fluid flow processes.

How can pressure drop be reduced?

There are several methods for reducing pressure drop, such as increasing the diameter of the pipe or using smoother materials to decrease friction, minimizing obstacles or changes in direction, and adjusting the fluid flow rate. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of pipes and ducts can also help reduce pressure drop.