How do I parametrize a line integral with vector functions?

In summary, the conversation is about parametrizing a function F in terms of t and integrating over values of x and y that lie on the curve mapped out by r(t). The question is how to determine if a point (x,y) is on the curve, and the solution is to put the curve in terms of t into a function of x and y. The conversation ends with the realization that this was a simple question and the problem is resolved.
iScience
LRO8ziP.png

(disregard the [5+5+5] in the question)attempt:
dr=(et(cost)+(sint)et)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + (-et(sint)+(cost)et)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

∫<3+2xy, x2-3y2>[itex]\cdot[/itex]<et(cost)+(sint)et, -et(sint)+(cost)et>dt

..at which point i remembered i had to parametrize F in terms of t, but didn't know how to do

Physics news on Phys.org
you want to integrate only over those values of x and y that lie on the curve mapped out by r(t) ... so what determines if a point (x,y) is on r?

to answer your question, it would be if curve C lies if the domain of F, i don't see how this would help me though, I'm trying to put the vector field in terms of t.

you want to integrate only over those values of x and y that lie on the curve mapped out by r(t)

i would have to put the curve that is in terms of t, into some function of x and y then, how?

this was a stupid question. Sorry, i just figured it out...

Well done :)

Related to How do I parametrize a line integral with vector functions?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given path or curve in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by dividing the given path or curve into small segments and then multiplying the value of the function at each point by the length of the segment. The sum of these products gives the total line integral value.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

While a line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional path or curve, a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a line integral is a special case of a surface integral.

4. What are some applications of line integrals in science?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate quantities such as work, flux, and circulation. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems related to curves and paths in multi-dimensional spaces.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using line integrals?

Yes, line integrals can only be calculated for functions that are continuous and differentiable along the given path or curve. Additionally, the path or curve must be well-defined and not self-intersecting.