How Do I Multiply These Polynomial Equations?

In summary, to find the product of two expressions, multiply each term in one expression by each term in the other expression and combine like terms. Remember to use the distributive property and power properties when necessary. A good Algebra textbook can provide further guidance and practice in solving multiplication problems with expressions.
GodBloo
So basicly our teacher taught us in high school how to find the product of some equations but I do not understand it very well and I need someone to teach me how to solve this basic problem.

The Equation is : (3x^2-4x+1)(4x^2+x-2)

I do not know how to find the product of that problem can anyone please help me with it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GodBloo said:
So basicly our teacher taught us in high school how to find the product of some equations but I do not understand it very well and I need someone to teach me how to solve this basic problem.

I do not know how to find the product of that problem can anyone please help me with it?

For every term in the first factor, multiply it by the entire second factor. For example,

[tex](a+b)(c+d)=a(c+d) + b(c+d)[/tex]

You do the same thing with polynomials that you do with numbers. If you were asked to multiply 233 by 123, you would first multiply 233 by the first digit in 123, 3
699. Then multiply by 2: 466. Finally multiply by 1: 233

You would position those as
___233
__x123
______
__699
_466
______

That spacing is because 123= 100+ 20+ 3 so you are actually multiplying (100+ 20+ 3)233= 100(233)+ 20(233)+ 3(233) (that's the "distributive law").

Similarly to multiply (3x^2-4x+1)(4x^2+x-2) think of it as 3x^2(4x^2+ x- 2)- 4x(4x^2+ x- 2)+ 1(4x^2+ x- 2). You can do each of those by using the "distributive law" again:
3x^2(4x^2+ x- 2)= (3x^2)(4x^2)+ (3x^2)(x)+ (3x^2)(-2)= 12x^4+ 3x^3- 6x^2.
-4x(4x^2+ x- 2)= (-4x)(4x^2)+ (-4x)(x)+ (-4x)(-2)= -16x^3- 4x^2+ 8x
1(4x^2+ x- 2)= (1)(4x^2)+ (1)(x)+ 1(-2)= 4x^2+ x- 2.

Now add those combining "like terms" (terms with the same power of x). The only "x^4" term is 12x^4. The "x^3" terms are 3x^3 and -16x^3- their sum is -13x^3. The "x^2" terms are -6x^2, -4x^2, and 4x^2. They add to -6x^2. The "x" terms are 8x and x. They add to 9x. Finally, the only "constant term" is "-2". That is, the product is 12x^4- 13x^3- 6x^2+ 9x- 2.

In a nutshell, multiply each term in one polynomial by each term in the other, then "combine like terms".

But what do I do with the exponents? do I add them up?
For exemple (3x^2)(4x^2) = 12x^4
like ^2+^2?

yes, using power properties in the same bases ## a^{n}\cdot a^{ m}=a^{n+m}##, remember if ##a\not=0 \Rightarrow a^{0}=1## ...

GodBloo said:

Let's get some terminology down. The above is a product, but it is not an equation -- this is an algebraic expression. An equation has = in it, and states that two expressions have the same value. The expressions above are made up of three terms each. The terms are the things being added or subtracted.

To expand (multiply out) the expression above, you need to multiply each term in the second expression by each term in the first expression. All together you will have nine multiplications. Some of these intermediate multiplications will have terms that have the same variable part (such as x3) but different coefficients (the constant that multiplies the variable part). These are called like terms, and can be combined. For example, two of the multiplications are 3x2 times x and -4x times 4x2. The first product gives 3x3 and the second product gives -16x3. We can combine 3x3 - 16x3 to -13x3, using the distributive property -- am + bm = (a + b)m.

You said that you had studied this in high school. If you are studying this material again, are you working from a textbook? If not, it would be useful to get an algebra textbook, which would list all of the various properties you need to use to carry out the multiplication you're interested in.

Alright thanks I`ll try buying a good Algebra textbook and hopefully it can help me even more thanks for all the help guys!

Related to How Do I Multiply These Polynomial Equations?

1. What does "find the indicated product" mean?

"Find the indicated product" is a phrase commonly used in mathematical or scientific problems where you are asked to multiply two or more numbers or variables together. It is essentially asking you to calculate the product of the given numbers or variables.

2. How do I find the product of two numbers?

To find the product of two numbers, you simply multiply them together. For example, if you are asked to find the product of 5 and 7, you would multiply 5 by 7, which would give you a product of 35. In mathematical notation, it would look like this: 5 x 7 = 35.

3. Can the order of the numbers affect the product?

Yes, the order of the numbers can affect the product. When multiplying two numbers, the product will be the same regardless of which number is written first. However, when multiplying three or more numbers, the order in which you multiply them can affect the final product.

4. What if the numbers are represented by variables?

If the numbers are represented by variables, you would follow the same process as multiplying two numbers. You would simply substitute the variables with their respective values and then multiply them together to find the product.

5. Are there any special rules for finding the product of certain numbers?

Yes, there are certain rules for finding the product of certain numbers. For example, when multiplying a number by 1, the product will always be the original number. When multiplying a number by 0, the product will always be 0. Additionally, there are rules for multiplying negative numbers and fractions, which you can learn more about in your mathematics or science courses.