How Do I Minimize Cable Tension in Engineering Mechanics?

In summary, for Prob. P2.46, the goal is to determine the value of \alpha for which the tension in cable BC is as small as possible. In addition, the corresponding value of the tension needs to be found. To solve this problem, we need to find the components of forces or construct a triangle of forces, with the triangle being a right angle triangle in order to minimize the tension. The first step would be to set up a free body diagram of the boom AC.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

For the structure and loading of Prob. P2.46 a) determine the value of [tex]\alpha[/tex] for which the tension in cable BC is as small as possible b) the corresponding value of the tension

(Please see attachement of diagram).

Homework Equations

Finding the components of forces, or constructing a triangle of forces - I know how to do b) but not a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember my professor mentioning that in order for a force to be as small as possible, we need to have the triangle of forces in a right angle triangle. I do not know how to setup the problem, if someone can help me with that I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Engineering mechanics.jpg
    Engineering mechanics.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start by setting up a free body diagram of the boom AC?

Related to How Do I Minimize Cable Tension in Engineering Mechanics?

1. What is the difference between a force and a load?

A force is a push or pull on an object, while a load is the weight or burden that an object is carrying. Forces can cause objects to move or change direction, while loads can affect the stability and strength of an object.

2. What are the three types of forces in engineering mechanics?

The three types of forces in engineering mechanics are contact forces, body forces, and surface forces. Contact forces occur when two objects are physically touching, body forces act on an entire object, and surface forces act on a specific area of an object.

3. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain in a state of rest or constant motion. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest or moving at a constant speed with a net force of zero. Dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line with a net force that is non-zero but balanced by another force, such as friction.

5. How do forces affect the motion of an object?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, change direction, or stop. The magnitude and direction of the net force determine the resulting motion of an object. According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by a net force.