How do I measure the binding energy of a molecule?

In summary: The authors in the discussion used a magnetic field of 4 T to break the van der Waals forces of an HeO molecule with a binding energy of 11.2 cm-1. They probably looked up the binding energy in a reference book or online. There are various ways to experimentally determine the binding energy, depending on the molecule and its formation. The mentioned equation, EBinding=ΔE≈3BμB/2(MMax−MMin), can be used for other gas molecules, such as hydrogen. However, it is important to note that this is a calculation, not a measurement. The video linked by the original poster may provide a solution for calculating the wavelength of light needed to break a chemical bond.
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The authors probably looked it up in a big book (or online).
The binding energy is the work needed to separate the molecule... there are lots of ways of figuring that out experimentally.
I don't know the specific methods used for HeO... look at how the molecule is formed. But it looks like the dissociation energy should be straight forward to get.
What is the concern here?

Thank you for the response! I was wondering what this equation would like for other gas molecules (Eg. hydrogen):

EBindng=ΔE≈3BμB/2(MMax−MMin)

I didn't understand how to measure the binding energy for an equation like this, but I may have found a solution in this video describing how to calculate the wavelength of light required to break a chemical bond:

Please let me know if I'm on the right track!

There is a difference between measuring something and calculating it.

Related to How do I measure the binding energy of a molecule?

1. How is binding energy defined?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to separate a molecule into its individual atoms or subunits.

2. What methods are commonly used to measure binding energy?

The most common methods for measuring binding energy of a molecule include spectroscopy, calorimetry, and mass spectrometry.

3. Can binding energy be measured for all types of molecules?

Yes, binding energy can be measured for all types of molecules, including small molecules, biomolecules, and macromolecules.

4. How does temperature affect the measurement of binding energy?

Temperature can affect the measurement of binding energy because it can influence the stability and strength of the bonds between molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring binding energy?

There may be limitations to measuring binding energy, as certain methods may only be applicable to specific types of molecules or may have a limited range of detection. Additionally, sample preparation and experimental conditions can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.