How do I find the unit tangent to the trajectory as a function of time?

In summary, the unit tangent vector can be found by applying the formula T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(t)| to the given position vector r(t) = (5*t^2)*i + (3*t^2)*j − (5*t)*k, which results in the following answer: (10*t*i+6*t*j-5*k)/(sqrt(136*t^2+25)). It is important to include the i, j, k components in the final answer.
Kris1
A particle moves such that its position vector, as a function of time is
r(t) = (5*t^2)*i + (3*t^2)*j − (5*t)*k

Im trying to find the unit tangent to the trajectory as a function of time. However I can't seem to find any formula of how to do this.

Can someone please help me with a formula or as to how to go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kris said:
A particle moves such that its position vector, as a function of time is
r(t) = (5*t^2)*i + (3*t^2)*j − (5*t)*k

Im trying to find the unit tangent to the trajectory as a function of time. However I can't seem to find any formula of how to do this.

Can someone please help me with a formula or as to how to go about this?

The unit tangent vector is defined to be
\[\mathbf{T}(t)=\frac{\mathbf{r}^{\prime}(t)} {|\mathbf{r}^{\prime}(t)|}.\]
Since you're given $\mathbf{r}(t)$, it shouldn't be too difficult computing $\mathbf{r}^{\prime}(t)$ and it's norm $|\mathbf{r}^{\prime}(t)|$.

Can you take things from here?

Thanks for the help

The answer I worked out to be was
(10*t*i+6*t*j-5*k)/(sqrt(136*t^2+25))

I at first got it wrong because I tried this answer
(10*t+6*t-5)/(sqrt(136*t^2+25))

But that didn't account for the i,j,k in the original vector hence the answer is
(10*t*i+6*t*j-5*k)/(sqrt(136*t^2+25))

Thanks for the help guys and I hope this can help someone else

Last edited:

Related to How do I find the unit tangent to the trajectory as a function of time?

What is a vector with relation to time?

A vector with relation to time refers to a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction and changes over time. It can represent quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement, which all have a direction and change as time passes.

How is a vector with relation to time represented?

A vector with relation to time is typically represented using a diagram or graph, with the magnitude shown as the length of the vector and the direction indicated by an arrow. The arrow points in the direction of the vector's movement or change over time.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector with relation to time?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and speed, while examples of vectors with relation to time include velocity and acceleration.

How can a vector with relation to time be calculated?

A vector with relation to time can be calculated using mathematical formulas and equations. For example, the average velocity over a given time period can be calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

What are some real-life examples of a vector with relation to time?

Real-life examples of a vector with relation to time include a car's velocity as it accelerates and changes direction, a ball's displacement and velocity as it is thrown in the air, and a plane's acceleration and velocity as it takes off and lands.