How do I find out the angle and distance

• Thread starter abelmoore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation involved discussing the motion of a thermal detonator being thrown by a Wookiee towards a group of imperial stormtroopers. The questions involved calculating the correct angle for the throw, the maximum distance the detonator could travel, and taking into account wind force. The type of motion involved was projectile motion and the relevant equations include those for constant acceleration and motion in 2D. The conversation also encouraged the individual to draw a diagram and think about similar questions they may have encountered before.
abelmoore

Homework Statement

Over a completely flat surface a thermal detonator (Star Wars) is thrown by a Wookiee (a member of the rebel alliance) towards a group of imperial stormtroopers. The thermal detonator always leaves the Wookiee’s hand with a speed of 100m/s and the thermal detonator has a mass of 3.2kg.
a) Suppose that the Stormtroopers are 500m away. What is the correct angle for the Wookiee to throw the thermal detonator so that it reaches the Stormtroopers.
b) What is the maximum distance the thermal detonator could travel?
c) If we know that there is an average wind force of 0.4N in the positive horizontal direction, then redo the above calculations taking into account this added force

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

speed is 100m/s mass 3.2kg stormtroopers 500m

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the detonator is thrown, it will have a vertical and horizontal component.
From the vertical component, you can compute how long it will remain airborne.
In the first part of the question, the horizontal component will remain constant until the detonator lands. So if you know the time, you know the distance.

You should be able to work it out from these points.
If not, at least try to make some more progress before expecting more clues.

abelmoore said:

The Attempt at a Solution

speed is 100m/s mass 3.2kg stormtroopers 500m[/B]
This is not an attempt at solution, it's just a re-statement of the given values. You must have course notes and a textbook which covers the relevant information. There's also plenty of material on the web which you can find easily with a modicum of effort.

What type of motion is involved? What are the associated equations?

gneill said:
This is not an attempt at solution, it's just a re-statement of the given values. You must have course notes and a textbook which covers the relevant information. There's also plenty of material on the web which you can find easily with a modicum of effort.

What type of motion is involved? What are the associated equations?

is it linear motion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motion

abelmoore said:
While it may be broadly classified as that, it's too general a description.

This is projectile motion and your text must cover this if you've been given an assignment that involves it.

gneill said:
While it may be broadly classified as that, it's too general a description.

This is projectile motion and your text must cover this if you've been given an assignment that involves it.

what equations does that motion have

abelmoore said:
what equations does that motion have
Uh uh. We're not here to do your research for you. Do a web search on "projectile motion". Read some articles and maybe watch a few videos on the subject.

Likes SammyS
gneill said:
Uh uh. We're not here to do your research for you. Do a web search on "projectile motion". Read some articles and maybe watch a few videos on the subject.
are you a telephone booth

abelmoore said:
are you a telephone booth
TARDIS :smile:

Looking at the three questions you've posted, you must have covered linear motion with constant acceleration, motion in 2D with constant acceleration, Newtons laws and circular motion. That's quite a lot of basic kinematics, so you must be well into the course. You must have done some questions like these before and have some ideas?

Have you drawn a diagram for a start?

Merlin3189 said:
Looking at the three questions you've posted, you must have covered linear motion with constant acceleration, motion in 2D with constant acceleration, Newtons laws and circular motion. That's quite a lot of basic kinematics, so you must be well into the course. You must have done some questions like these before and have some ideas?

Have you drawn a diagram for a start?

i suck at physics

Well maybe with a bit of encouragement you can get past that.

So what questions have you done about throwing things?
- I drop a brick off the top of a building 100 m high. How long does it take to hit the ground? How fast is it going when it hits the ground?
- You throw a ball up with a speed of 10 m/sec, how long before it comes back down? How high does it get? That sort of thing?

Merlin3189 said:
Well maybe with a bit of encouragement you can get past that.

So what questions have you done about throwing things?
- I drop a brick off the top of a building 100 m high. How long does it take to hit the ground? How fast is it going when it hits the ground?
- You throw a ball up with a speed of 10 m/sec, how long before it comes back down? How high does it get? That sort of thing?
first time doing these questions

So what questions have you done? Nobody starts with throwing things unless they've already done some basic kinematics.

x = Vx T for the first part

The key to understanding this type of problem is that the motion can be described by two simultaneous equations. One equation describes the horizontal motion and one equation describes the vertical motion...

The horizontal motion is at a constant velocity (so equations like distance = velocity*time can be used).
The vertical motion is constant acceleration (so the equations of motion under constant acceleration are used, see also SUVAT equations).

abelmoore said:
x = Vx T for the first part

That's ok but V is not the launch velocity. Replace V with an equation for the horizontal component of the launch velocity.

CWatters said:
That's ok but V is not the launch velocity. Replace V with an equation for the horizontal component of the launch velocity.
Did you mean "yes, but what is the value of Vx in terms of the angle to be found?"

Yes. What you said. I missinterpreted Vxt as V*t.

how do I get time wait do I do vx = vcoscirclethingy is v 100 m/s

abelmoore said:
how do I get time wait do I do vx = vcoscirclethingy is v 100 m/s
Not sure I understand that. If you mean vx=v cos(θ) where v =100m/s then yes.

Please use subscripts (X2 on the tools line), subscripts and special characters as appropriate. To get the special character palette click Σ on the tools line.

do you get time by distance/velocity

what's θ how do i get

If this is to be treated as a projectile motion question, there is no mention of the acceleration of gravity where all this is happening. Presumably it's in a galaxy far far away.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread closed due to lack of serious effort by OP.

Related to How do I find out the angle and distance

1. How do I measure the angle and distance of an object?

To measure the angle and distance of an object, you will need to use a measuring tool such as a ruler, protractor, or a measuring tape. Place the measuring tool at the base of the object and align it with the direction of the object. Then, use the markings on the tool to determine the angle and distance.

2. What is the best way to find the angle and distance of a distant object?

The best way to find the angle and distance of a distant object is to use a method called triangulation. This involves taking measurements from two different points at a known distance apart and using basic trigonometry to calculate the angle and distance of the object.

3. Can I use technology to find the angle and distance of an object?

Yes, there are various technologies that can be used to find the angle and distance of an object. For example, laser range finders use laser beams to calculate the distance to an object, and inclinometers can measure angles using gravity sensors.

4. How do I find the angle and distance of an object if the terrain is uneven?

If the terrain is uneven, you may need to use a combination of measuring tools and calculations to find the angle and distance of an object. You may need to take multiple measurements from different points and use trigonometry to determine the angle and distance.

5. Is it important to know the angle and distance of an object in scientific research?

Yes, knowing the angle and distance of an object is crucial in scientific research. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations, which are essential in understanding and analyzing data. It also helps to determine the position and movement of objects in various scientific fields such as astronomy, physics, and geography.