How do I find components of a vector at a given angle?

• Thread starter Dylex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the component of a weight vector that is parallel to a slope using trigonometry. This involves resolving the weight vector into two components, one parallel to the slope and one perpendicular to it, using a Cartesian coordinate system. The sum of these two components is equivalent to the weight vector.
Dylex
Im a little confused with this question, i can't quite seem to get the hang of it. I understand that you have to use a triangle and i understand that you need to use trigonometry, but what exactly am i even working out? What is the question asking?

The image below shows the question, i am having difficulty mainly with part B (i):

579170e117432fd87bf8ac5a91c52be3.png

If the image doesn't display go here: http://i.gyazo.com/579170e117432fd87bf8ac5a91c52be3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking to find the component of the weight vector that is parallel to the slope.

Vector components are usually taken to be perpendicular to each other (in a Cartesian co-ordiinate scheme). So in this case there will be a component perpendicular to the slope and one parallel to the slope, forming a right angle triangle with the weight vector as the hypotenuse.

##m\vec g## acts vertically downwards, right? But if you decide on a co-ordinate system which has one co-ordinate down the slope (parallel to it) and the other perpendicular to the slope then you can resolve ##m\vec g## into two components in those two directions. The sum of those two, as vectors, is completely equivalent to ##m\vec g##.
Do you understand how to find a component of a vector at a given angle to it?

Related to How do I find components of a vector at a given angle?

1. What are the main components of weights?

The main components of weights are the weight plates, the barbell or dumbbell, and the collars that hold the plates in place.

2. What is the purpose of weight plates?

Weight plates are used to add resistance to a workout and help build muscle strength and endurance.

3. What are the different types of weight plates?

The different types of weight plates include standard plates, Olympic plates, and bumper plates. Standard plates have a 1-inch hole and are typically used for lighter weights, while Olympic plates have a 2-inch hole and are used for heavier weights. Bumper plates are made of rubber and are designed for weightlifting exercises where the weight may be dropped.

4. How do barbells and dumbbells differ?

Barbells are longer and have a thicker bar with two weight plates on either end, while dumbbells are shorter and have a thinner bar with one weight plate on each end. Barbells are typically used for exercises that require both arms, such as bench press, while dumbbells are used for exercises that work one arm at a time, such as bicep curls.

5. What is the purpose of collars on weight plates?

Collars are used to secure the weight plates onto the barbell or dumbbell, preventing them from sliding off during a workout. This helps keep the weight evenly distributed and reduces the risk of injury.