How do I find and classify stationary points?

• Thread starter MMCS
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Yes, those are the stationary points. As for classification: have you taken (multivariate) second-order tests yet?
MMCS

Homework Statement

See attached for problem

Attempt at solution

∂f/∂x = 3x2+12x
∂f/∂y = 3y2-12y

Factorise

x(3x+12)

x=0 or,
3x+12 = 0 → x= -4

y(3y-12)

y=0 or,
3y-12=0 → y=4

I find the next stage difficult, because there are no mixed terms in the polynomial any of the values i substitute into another gives me 0, because of this i need help finding the stationary points, I'm fine with classifying them

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
MMCS said:
because there are no mixed terms in the polynomial any of the values i substitute into another gives me 0, because of this i need help finding the stationary points,

I don't see the difficulty. You have two values for x and two for y. How many combinations does that give for (x, y)?

haruspex said:
I don't see the difficulty. You have two values for x and two for y. How many combinations does that give for (x, y)?

This just gives me two stationary points doesn't it?

haruspex said:

I see, it is 4, i thought there would be other values i would need, so my points would be

(0,0)
(0,4)
(-4,0)
(-4,4)

Is this correct?

If you had had "mixed" terms, xy, then you would have equations with both x and y leading to the result that a specific value of x leads to a specific value of y. Here, that does not happen. The derivative with respect to x will be 0 if x= 0 or -4 no matter what y is. The derivative with respect to y will be 0 if y= 0 or 4 no matter what x is. In particular, both derivatives will be 0 at (0, 0), (0, 4), (-4, 0), and (-4, 4) as you say.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that explanation helps me understand that better

MMCS said:
I see, it is 4, i thought there would be other values i would need, so my points would be

(0,0)
(0,4)
(-4,0)
(-4,4)

Is this correct?

Yes, those are the stationary points. As for classification: have you taken (multivariate) second-order tests yet?

Related to How do I find and classify stationary points?

What is the purpose of finding stationary points?

The purpose of finding stationary points is to identify critical points in a mathematical function where the gradient, or slope, is equal to zero. These points can help determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, as well as any points of inflection.

How do you find stationary points?

To find stationary points, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-values of the stationary points. These x-values can then be plugged back into the original function to find the y-values of the stationary points.

What is the difference between a local and global stationary point?

A local stationary point is a critical point that only applies to a small region of a function, while a global stationary point applies to the entire function. Global stationary points may be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the variable, while local stationary points may require further analysis of the second derivative.

Why is it important to check the second derivative when finding stationary points?

Checking the second derivative is important because it helps determine the nature of the stationary point. A positive second derivative indicates a local minimum, a negative second derivative indicates a local maximum, and a second derivative of zero indicates a point of inflection. This information can help accurately identify the type of stationary point and its location on the function.

Can there be multiple stationary points in a single function?

Yes, there can be multiple stationary points in a single function. Depending on the complexity of the function, there may be several local and global stationary points. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its derivatives to accurately identify all of the stationary points.