How do I figure out the initial velocity of an object?

In summary, to find the initial velocity of an object of 1400 kilograms subjected to a friction coefficient of 0.4587, with a final velocity of 23.05 metres per second over a distance of 75.6 metres, you can either use kinematics and Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration and combine it with a kinematic equation, or use energy to calculate the work done by the friction force. Remember to use the correct formula for kinetic energy as ½mv², not ½mv.
Dobro_player

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to figure out the initial velocity if an object of 1400 kilograms is subjected to a friction coefficient (sliding friction) of 0.4587 for 75.6 metres, and its final velocity after being subjected to that friction is 23.05 metres per second. How do I go about this?

Homework Equations

The only equations that I can think of that are relevant is:
Fr=μmg
distance=ut+0.5at2
Ek=0.5mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction force= Fr=μmg
Fr=0.4587*1400*9.8=6293.364
Final momentum
p=mv
p=32270N
Final Kinetic energy
Ek=0.5mv
Ek=0.5*1400*23.05=16135J
I'm not sure how to do the distance equation as I don't know the amount of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two ways to go:
(1) Use kinematics. Use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration and combine that with some kinematic equations. (Look for a kinematic relationship that includes distance and velocity.)
(2) Use energy. What's the work done by that friction force?

FYI: KE = ½mv², not ½mv.

Related to How do I figure out the initial velocity of an object?

1. How do I measure the initial velocity of an object?

The initial velocity of an object can be measured by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can be done by recording the initial position and final position of the object and the time it took to travel between the two points.

2. Can I calculate the initial velocity using only the final velocity and acceleration?

Yes, the initial velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

3. Is there a specific unit for initial velocity?

The unit for initial velocity depends on the units used for distance and time. Some common units for initial velocity include meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How do I account for air resistance when calculating the initial velocity?

To account for air resistance, you can use the equation v = u + at + 0.5ad2, where d is the distance traveled and a is the acceleration due to air resistance. However, this calculation may be more complex and may require additional information about the object and its surroundings.

5. Can the initial velocity of an object change over time?

Yes, the initial velocity of an object can change over time if there is a change in the object's speed or direction of motion. This can occur due to external forces such as gravity, friction, or air resistance.