How do I evaluate the contour integral for $f'(z)/f(z)$ around $|z|=4$?

In summary: You have to apply the relation... $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{f^{\ '}(z)}{f(z)}\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ (n-m)\ (1)$... where... $\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{p(z)}{q(z)} = \frac{(z^{2}+1)^{2}}{(z^{2} + 2\ z + 2)^{3}}\ (2)$... and $\gamma$ is the circle for which $|
Fermat1
Let $f(z)=\frac{(z^2+1)^2}{(z^2+2z+2)^3}$ . Evaluate the contour integral of $f'(z)/f(z)$ around the circle $|z|=4$?

How do I do this without having to find $f'(z)$?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Let $f(z)=\frac{(z^2+1)^2}{(z^2+2z+2)^3}$ . Evaluate the contour integral of $f'(z)/f(z)$ around the circle $|z|=4$?

How do I do this without having to find $f'(z)$?

Thanks

An immediate answer is given by what I consider one of the most beautiful theorems of complex analysis: the principle of the argument ...

Argument Principle -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Fermat thank you for giving me a good procedure to be followed in a mathematical note that I'm carrying on about the logarithm function in the complex domain ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
An immediate answer is given by what I consider one of the most beautiful theorems of complex analysis: the principle of the argument ...

Fermat thank you for giving me a good procedure to be followed in a mathematical note that I'm carrying on about the logarithm function in the complex domain ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ok, the number of roots is 2. How about the poles? Thanks

chisigma said:

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

$f$ has 2 poles (at -1+i and -1-i) so the integral is 2-2=0. Correct? Can you tell me how poles a polynomial has.

Fermat said:
$f$ has 2 poles (at -1+i and -1-i) so the integral is 2-2=0. Correct? Can you tell me how poles a polynomial has.
Read chisigma's link to Wolfram MathWorld more carefully! The zeros and poles must be counted according to their multiplicities.

Opalg said:
Read chisigma's link to Wolfram MathWorld more carefully! The zeros and poles must be counted according to their multiplicities.

so there are 4 roots and 2 poles of order 3?

You have to apply the relation...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{f^{\ '}(z)}{f(z)}\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ (n-m)\ (1)$

... where...

$\displaystyle f(z)= \frac{p(z)}{q(z)} = \frac{(z^{2}+1)^{2}}{(z^{2} + 2\ z + 2)^{3}}\ (2)$

... and $\gamma$ is the circle for which $|z|=4$. If all the roots of p(*) and q(*) fall inside $\gamma$ [that is the case...], then n is the degree of p(*) and m is the degree of q(*), so that (Speechless) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How do I evaluate the contour integral for $f'(z)/f(z)$ around $|z|=4$?

1. What is the contour integral method?

The contour integral method is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals along closed curves in the complex plane. It involves breaking down a complex function into simpler parts and integrating along a specified path or contour in the complex plane.

2. When is the contour integral method used?

The contour integral method is commonly used in complex analysis and physics to solve problems involving complex functions. It is also used in engineering and other branches of mathematics.

3. How does the contour integral method work?

The contour integral method involves choosing a closed contour in the complex plane and breaking down a complex function into simpler parts using algebraic or trigonometric identities. The integral is then evaluated by integrating each part along the chosen contour and summing up the results.

4. What are the advantages of using the contour integral method?

The contour integral method can often simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. Additionally, it can be used to find solutions to differential equations and other complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the contour integral method?

The contour integral method may not always be applicable, as it relies on the chosen contour being closed and the function being analytic within the contour. Additionally, it may be difficult to find a contour that simplifies the integral, and the method can be time-consuming for complex functions.