How do I estimate how tall this building is?

In summary, a broken barometer can be used to estimate the height of a tall building, but it cannot be done just on its own. The height of the building can be estimated using the shadow made by the building and the shadow length of a known height object, such as yourself.
Henrybar
How do I estimate the height of the tall building spiderman swings to at 0:48? I need it for a physics assignment. What does you're intuition tell you? (I've never lived in a city full of buildings). Is there a way to estimate it using physics? I'm not sure that building actually exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can count the floors then you can multiply it by 3.50 m to get a rough estimate. Otherwise you will have to look for something with known height, its distance to the building and then do some trigonometry.

Henrybar said:
Is there a way to estimate it using physics?
Take a barometer to the top of the building, drop it off the side, and time how long the barometer takes to reach the ground. From that time, you can calculate the height of the building. :oldbiggrin:

BTW, is this a homework question?

Mark44 said:
Take a barometer to the top of the building, drop it off the side, and time how long the barometer takes to reach the ground.
Anyone want to buy a broken barometer? No pressure!

Likes fresh_42, davenn, berkeman and 2 others
you can use the shadow made by the building and measure the shadow's length

Mohamad Kassar said:
you can use the shadow made by the building and measure the shadow's length

yes, but it cannot be done just on it's own, as depending on the time of day ( sun position) the shadow can be longer or shorter that what the building is tall

you forgot the important part ..
That is, you also measure the shadow length of a known height object ... yourself, for example
then the ratio of your shadow length to your height can then be applied to the building's shadow
This needs to be done quickly as the sun is always moving and the shadow length always changingDave

The building looks to be about 10-12 floors. See post #2.

Related to How do I estimate how tall this building is?

1. How do I estimate the height of a building?

One way to estimate the height of a building is to use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the height of a known object, such as a door or window, and then use that measurement to estimate the height of the building based on the number of times it can fit into the building's height.

2. Can I use my own height as a reference to estimate the height of a building?

Yes, you can use your own height as a reference to estimate the height of a building. Simply stand a certain distance away from the building and use your height to measure how many times it fits into the height of the building. Keep in mind that this method may not be as accurate as using a measuring tape or ruler.

3. Is there a more accurate way to estimate the height of a building?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to estimate the height of a building, such as using a clinometer or an angle-measuring app on a smartphone. These tools allow you to measure the angle between your eye level and the top of the building, which can then be used to calculate the building's height using trigonometry.

4. Are there any online tools or resources that can help me estimate the height of a building?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources that can help you estimate the height of a building. These include building height calculators, Google Earth, and satellite imagery. Keep in mind that these methods may not be as accurate as physically measuring the building.

5. Is it important to accurately estimate the height of a building?

Yes, it can be important to accurately estimate the height of a building, especially for engineering and construction purposes. Inaccurate height estimates can lead to safety hazards and costly mistakes. However, if you are simply estimating the height for personal curiosity, a rough estimate may be sufficient.