How do I differentiate vectors with derivatives and properties?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the differential of a parameterized vector function using the properties of derivatives. The given vector function is differentiated with respect to the parameter "s" using both the replacement method and the chain rule, resulting in the same answer.
KF33
Homework Statement: The homework problem is included below, but I am looking at the derivatives of vectors.
Homework Equations: I have the properties of derivatives below, but not sure they help me here.

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 8.04.27 PM.png
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/249865https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/249865

[Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum to answer conceptional question.]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a parameterization of a vector here, i.e. a function ##u\, : \,\mathbb{R}\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^3\,.## We want to know the differential according to the one real parameter ##t##.

So first write down what ##u(3t^2)## is and simply differentiate it componentwise, since
$$
u(t)=t^3\,\mathbf{i} -2t \,\mathbf{j} -2\,\mathbf{k} = \begin{bmatrix}t^3\\-2t\\-2\end{bmatrix}
$$

One thing that complicates this is that you are using the same variable, t, in two different places. If I am reading this correctly, you have the vector function [itex]u(t)= t^3\vec{i}- 2t\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}[/itex] but then you are asked to differentiate [itex]u(s^2)[/itex] with respect to s (I have used "s" rather than "t" here because it is not the same variable as "t" in the definition of u).
There are two ways you can do that. One is to simply replace "t" with "[itex]s^2[/itex]": [itex]u(s^2)= (s^2)^3\vec{i}- 2(s^2)\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}= s^6\vec{i}- 4s^2\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to t: [itex]6s^5\vec{i}- 8s\vec{J}[/itex]. The other way is to use the chain rule: [itex]\frac{d\vec{u}}{ds}= \frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}\frac{dt}{du}= (3t^2\vec{i}- 2\vec{j})(2s)[/itex], Do you see that those give the same answer?

Related to How do I differentiate vectors with derivatives and properties?

1. What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow pointing in a specific direction and with a specific length.

2. How do I differentiate a vector with respect to a scalar?

To differentiate a vector with respect to a scalar, you can treat each component of the vector as a separate function and use the standard rules of differentiation. For example, if the vector is represented as v = (x, y, z), the derivative would be v' = (x', y', z').

3. What are the properties of vector derivatives?

The properties of vector derivatives include the product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and power rule. These rules are similar to those used in differentiating scalar functions, but they are applied to each component of the vector separately.

4. Can I differentiate a vector with respect to another vector?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate a vector with respect to another vector. This is known as the gradient or directional derivative and is used in vector calculus to find the rate of change of a vector field in a specific direction.

5. How do I use vector derivatives in physics?

In physics, vector derivatives are used to describe the motion and forces acting on objects. They are particularly useful in calculating velocity, acceleration, and momentum of moving objects. Vector derivatives are also used in electromagnetism to describe the electric and magnetic fields.