How Do I Differentiate the Term 6xy in an Implicit Differentiation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an implicit differential problem involving 6xy. The person is confused about how to differentiate 6xy and the use of the product rule. They eventually figure out that 6x is f and y is g, which leads to the solution (6y) + 6x(y'). They then move on to discussing their second question and are advised to use algebra to solve for y'. The conversation ends with the person realizing they need a break and thanking the others for their help.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Hey all!

Ok, doing a simple implicit differential.

x^3 + y^3 = 6xy

The 6xy is messing me up! How do I differentiate that??

The book says 6xy turns into 6y + 6xy'

I do not understand how to differentiate 6xy (how the x and y are stuck together)

Ok, doing a simple implicit differential.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(xy)=\frac{dx}{dx}\cdot y + x\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Notice how it's the product rule?

Yes I know its the product rule...

Wait. Ahh, I see!

6x is f and y is g (in terms of f'g + fg')

which gives me

(6y) + 6x(y')

:)

Thanks!

But now that brings me to my 2nd question.

This leaves me with: x^2 + y^2y' = 2y + 2xy'

I don't understand how to solve for y' when I have 2 of them.

Use algebra! Move both y' terms to one side of the equation everything else to the other side and solve for it.

ahhg, I think I need to stop. I am forgetting such silly things!

I got the question. Thanks guys. Think its time for little break :)

Related to How Do I Differentiate the Term 6xy in an Implicit Differentiation?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to understand derivatives?

Derivatives are important in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, as they help us understand and model real-world phenomena. They are also essential in calculus, as they are used to find maximum and minimum values of functions, and to solve optimization problems.

3. How can I find the derivative of a function?

The process of finding a derivative is called differentiation, and there are various rules and techniques for doing so. Some common methods include the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. It is important to practice these techniques and understand when to apply them.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

While derivatives represent the rate of change of a function, integrals represent the accumulation of a function over a given interval. In other words, derivatives tell us how a function is changing at a specific point, while integrals tell us the total value of a function over a range of points.

5. How can I prepare for a derivative exam?

To prepare for a derivative exam, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding the concepts behind them. Work through examples and practice questions, and make sure to review any areas that you are struggling with. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or classmate if needed.