How do I differentiate an equation involving pi?

In summary, the derivative of sin(t) + (pi)cos(t) is cos(t) - pi*sin(t). The constant pi can be treated as any other number when taking the derivative.
fk378
[SOLVED] Differentiation involving Pi

Homework Statement

Differentiate sin(t) + (pi)cos(t)

Homework Equations

Am I supposed to leave pi alone and just solve for the cos and sin parts? Or do I get f'(x) of pi as well?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f'(x) of sin(t) = cos(t)
Now what do I do with the (pi)cos(t) part? Do I say that the slope of pi is zero, therefore the derivative of (pi)cos(t) is 0, then the answer would be just sin(t) for the whole equation.

OR

Leave pi there, and have f'(x) of cos(t)= -sin(t) so that would make: cos(t) + (pi)(-sin[t]) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
pi is a constant, so treat it like any other number. What's the derivative of 5x? Of pi*x?

Pi is just a constant. What do you know of the derivative of [itex] a cos(t) [/itex] where a is a constant?

Interesting way to put it. So is that what pi will be in most differentiation cases? How will you know if they are referring to pi as the radian in which the slope = 0?

Huh? Pi is a number!

Yes, but Pi is also a radian measure of 180 degrees.

fk378 said:
Yes, but Pi is also a radian measure of 180 degrees.
True--the number of radians in 180 degrees equals pi. Pi is also the number of square meters within a circle who's radius is one meter. :wink: And many other things. But in all cases, pi is just a pure number--and that's all you care about when differentiating an expression that contains pi.

That would only matter if pi was the argument of one of the trig functions, which it is not. It is merely a number multiplying the function.

Ah, I see. Thank you both :)

Related to How do I differentiate an equation involving pi?

1. What is differentiation involving pi?

Differentiation involving pi is a mathematical process used to find the derivative of a function that contains the constant pi (π). It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate rates of change and slopes of curves.

2. How is differentiation involving pi different from regular differentiation?

The main difference between differentiation involving pi and regular differentiation is that the constant pi (π) is treated as a constant term, similar to a number like 2 or 5. This means that when differentiating a function involving pi, we treat π as a constant and do not use the chain rule.

3. What are some common functions that involve differentiation involving pi?

Functions that commonly involve differentiation involving pi include trigonometric functions such as sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan). Other examples include exponential functions and logarithmic functions.

4. How do you differentiate a function involving pi?

To differentiate a function involving pi, we use the standard rules of differentiation, treating pi (π) as a constant. For example, if we have the function f(x) = sin(xπ), we would differentiate it as f'(x) = πcos(xπ) using the power rule and the chain rule.

5. Why is differentiation involving pi important?

Differentiation involving pi is important because it allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function that contains the constant pi (π). This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity of an object or the growth rate of a population.