How do I determine the tipping angle of a box on a truck?

• Thread starter Zach981
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Truck
In summary, the box will tip over if the truck accelerates faster than the normal force acting on the box. To prevent this from happening, the truck must accelerate at a rate that is less than the tipping angle.
Zach981

Homework Statement

A truck is loaded with a large box, which is a uniform rectangular solid 1.8 m tall, 1.0 m wide, and 1.2 m deep.
The box sits upright on a truck with its 1.0 m dimension in the direction of travel, and the bed of the truck is sufficiently rough that the load cannot slide. How rapidly can the truck accelerate without tipping the box over? [Hint: Suppose the box is just starting to tip; where is the normal force acting?]

Homework Equations

This is from the torque/equilibruim section of the physics textbook.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a free body diagram, made three equations for the forces in the x direction, y direction, and the net torque. But mastering physics says my answer is wrong. How should I set up this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zach981! :wink:
Zach981 said:
I set up a free body diagram, made three equations for the forces in the x direction, y direction, and the net torque.

Show us your equations. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi zach981! :wink:

Show us your equations. :smile:

4567.png

What did I do wrong?

I have 2 hours left to finish this assignment, does anyone here have know what to do?

Forget it, figured this out myself,
μ = cosθ/sinθ
where:
tanθ = 1.8 m/ 1 m

then, a = μg

just in case anyone else has to do these stupid mastering physics assignments.

Hi Zach981! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

(in future, show your working at the start, as per the forum rules, and you'll receive help much sooner)
Zach981 said:
View attachment 52411

What did I do wrong?
Zach981 said:
Forget it, figured this out myself,
μ = cosθ/sinθ
where:
tanθ = 1.8 m/ 1 m

then, a = μg

just in case anyone else has to do these stupid mastering physics assignments.

sorry, but both solutions are the wrong idea

moment of inertia has nothing to do with it … that would only matter if you were interested in the rate of turning

the coefficient of friction, µ, also has nothing to do with it … the tipping angle would be the same even if the box had a fixed pivot at the corner, wouldn't it? :wink:

your answer (a = gtanθ) is correct, but you need to rewrite your reasoning :smile:

(btw, you could achieve the same result more easily, if your professor allows you to use non-inertial frames, by adding a horizontal "fictitious" force of -ma :wink:)

Related to How do I determine the tipping angle of a box on a truck?

What causes a box on a truck to tip over?

A box on a truck can tip over due to various factors such as uneven distribution of weight in the box, sudden turns or stops of the truck, or external forces such as wind or road conditions.

How can the tipping of a box on a truck be prevented?

To prevent a box on a truck from tipping over, proper loading and distribution of weight within the box is crucial. The box should be loaded in a balanced manner and secured with straps or ropes to prevent movement during transportation. The truck driver should also drive carefully and avoid sudden turns or stops.

Can the design of the truck affect the likelihood of a box tipping over?

Yes, the design of the truck can play a role in the likelihood of a box tipping over. Trucks with a higher center of gravity are more prone to tipping over compared to trucks with a lower center of gravity. Additionally, trucks with a wider base and larger tires provide more stability and reduce the chances of tipping.

What safety precautions should be taken when transporting a box on a truck?

When transporting a box on a truck, it is important to follow safety guidelines such as securing the box with straps or ropes, regularly checking the condition of the truck and its tires, and driving carefully and defensively. It is also crucial to adhere to weight limits and not overload the truck.

How can the consequences of a box tipping over on a truck be minimized?

To minimize the consequences of a box tipping over on a truck, proper safety measures should be in place, such as using straps or ropes to secure the box, maintaining proper weight limits, and driving carefully. It is also important to regularly inspect the truck for any potential hazards or issues that could lead to a box tipping over.