How do I determine if a given set of vectors can generate a vector space?

In summary: In that case, what's the criterion for determining if a set is too small? I guess that's where I'm fuzzy. The only time a given set of vectors will not span a vector space is in a case where it's too small, i.e. not enough vectors. In that case, what's the criterion for determining if a set is too small?
Shackleford
How do I show the vectors, polynomials, and matrices generate the given sets?

A subset of a vector space generates the vector space if the span of the subset is the vector space. The span is the set of all linear combinations.

For 6, do I show the vector are linearly independent and can thus generate F3? I assume this is simply R3. What about for 6 and 8?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110608_203711.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For #6: What is the span of {(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)}?

does there exist an a,b,c such that

a(1,1,0) + b(1,0,1) + c(0,1,1) = (x,y,z)

for all vectors (x,y,z) in F^3?

tylerc1991 said:
For #6: What is the span of {(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)} ?

I'm assuming they're linearly independent. If so, then it's R3.

tylerc1991 said:
For #6: What is the span of {(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)}?

does there exist an a,b,c such that

a(1,1,0) + b(1,0,1) + c(0,1,1) = (x,y,z)

for all vectors (x,y,z) in F^3?

I don't see why there couldn't be.

a + b = x
a + c = y
b + c = z

Shackleford said:
I don't see why there couldn't be.

a + b = x
a + c = y
b + c = z

But what are the specific a,b, and c given an x,y, and z?

tylerc1991 said:
But what are the specific a,b, and c given an x,y, and z?

a = (1/2)(x + y - z)
b = (1/2)(x - y + z)
c = (1/2)(-x + y + z)

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
a = (1/2)(a + b - c)
b = (1/2)(a - b + c)
c = (1/2)(- a + b + c)

I am getting the same thing, only with the a,b, and c replaced by x,y, and z respectively :biggrin:.

OK so you have shown that any vector in F^3 can be represented by a linear combination of (1,1,0),(1,0,1), and (0,1,1). Thus span{(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)} = F^3.

Also, F^3 does not equal R^3. F is a general representation of a field.

tylerc1991 said:
I am getting the same thing, only with the a,b, and c replaced by x,y, and z respectively :biggrin:.

OK so you have shown that any vector in F^3 can be represented by a linear combination of (1,1,0),(1,0,1), and (0,1,1). Thus span{(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)} = F^3.

Also, F^3 does not equal R^3. F is a general representation of a field.

Oops. I fixed it. This result seems trivial. That's why I was confused. What's a case in which you could not represent any arbitrary vector in F3 as a linear combination? If there were only two given vectors...

Shackleford said:
Oops. I fixed it. This result seems trivial. That's why I was confused. What's a case in which you could not represent any arbitrary vector in F3 as a linear combination? If there were only two given vectors...

Right, if the only vectors given were (1,1,0) and (0,0,1), then we could not represent (3,2,1) for instance.

tylerc1991 said:
Right, if the only vectors given were (1,1,0) and (0,0,1), then we could not represent (3,2,1) for instance.

Or if we were given three vectors with one being relatively linearly dependent. How would that show up in determining the coefficients? Some impossible relationship? Or some common relationship?

Shackleford said:
Or if we were given three vectors with one being relatively linearly dependent. How would that show up in determining the coefficients? Some impossible relationship? Or some common relationship?

You have to show that the given set of vectors spans the given vector space.

For instance, the set of vectors {(0,0,1)(0,1,0)(1,0,0)(1,1,1)} generate R^3, but they are not linearly independent.

The set of vectors {(0,1,1),(1,0,0)} are linearly independent but they do not span R^3.

tylerc1991 said:
You have to show that the given set of vectors spans the given vector space.

For instance, the set of vectors {(0,0,1)(0,1,0)(1,0,0)(1,1,1)} generate R^3, but they are not linearly independent.

The set of vectors {(0,1,1),(1,0,0)} are linearly independent but they do not span R^3.

I guess that's where I'm fuzzy. The only time a given set of vectors will not span a vector space is in a case where it's too small, i.e. not enough vectors.

Related to How do I determine if a given set of vectors can generate a vector space?

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, which are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property. Sets can be finite or infinite.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and two operations- addition and scalar multiplication- that satisfy certain properties. Vector spaces are important in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

How do sets generate vector spaces?

A set can generate a vector space by providing the basis or building blocks for the vectors in the space. The elements of the set can be combined using the operations of addition and scalar multiplication to create new vectors that satisfy the properties of a vector space.

What are the properties of a vector space?

A vector space must satisfy several properties, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, and the existence of an additive identity and inverse. These properties ensure that the set generates a valid vector space.

What is the significance of sets generating vector spaces?

The concept of sets generating vector spaces is important in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra. It allows us to study and manipulate vector spaces using the more familiar tools of sets and their operations, making it easier to solve problems and prove theorems in this field.