How do I derive the Covariant Derivative for Covectors? (Lower index)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the covariant derivative for a covector and its relation to the definition of the covariant derivative for a vector. The Christoffel symbol is negative for a covector and this is explained through the use of the product rule for partial derivatives. The conversation also discusses the use of relabeling indices and the cancellation of terms in the derivation process.
LoadedAnvils
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to learn the derivation the covariant derivative for a covector, but I can't seem to find it.

I am trying to derive this:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} V_{μ} - \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β}[/itex]

If this is a definition, I want to know why it works with the definition of the covariant derivative of a vector:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V^{μ} = \partial_{α} V^{μ} + \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex]

Why is the Christoffel symbol negative for a covector? Can anyone explain this to me?

Thank you all so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working out [itex]\nabla_\alpha \left( V^\mu V_\mu \right)[/itex] a couple of different ways:

1) Using the product rule for covariant derivatives;

2) using the fact that [itex]V^\mu V_\mu[/itex] is a scalar.

This is one of the leads I found here, but I don't know how to progress.

Right now, I am here:

[itex]V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} (V^{μ} V_{μ}) - V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex]

Here are some questions I have:

I understand that [itex]V^{μ} V_{μ}[/itex] is a scalar, so what is the partial derivative of it? I tried to do it with zero if it is independent of α but it doesn't look like it leads to the covariant derivative.

Also, how do I remove the [itex]V^{μ}[/itex] on the LHS? Do I multiply by [itex]V_{μ}[/itex]?

LoadedAnvils said:
I understand that [itex]V^{μ} V_{μ}[/itex] is a scalar, so what is the partial derivative of it?

Use the product rule for partial derivatives.

LoadedAnvils said:
Also, how do I remove the [itex]V^{μ}[/itex] on the LHS? Do I multiply by [itex]V_{μ}[/itex]?

You don't have to remove it; you need to relabel indices in the last term on the right side.

George Jones said:
Use the product rule for partial derivatives.

I don't know what two terms I would use in the product rule. Once I separate the vector and covector I can't use the partial derivative anymore (or so I think). Can you explain to me how I would use the product rule in this case?

George Jones said:
You don't have to remove it; you need to relabel indices in the last term on the right side.

I see what you mean, however, without knowing the partial derivative I don't know what I can do with this yet.

LoadedAnvils said:
I don't know what two terms I would use in the product rule. Once I separate the vector and covector I can't use the partial derivative anymore (or so I think). Can you explain to me how I would use the product rule in this case?

I am not sure what you mean. More explicitly: use the product rule for partial derivatives on [itex]\partial_\alpha \left( V^\mu V_\mu \right)[/itex].

Oh, now I get it!

For those reading this in the future, this is what I got:

[itex] \partial_{α} (V^{μ} V_{μ}) = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} + V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} [/itex]

Thus,

[itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} + V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β} [/itex]

So [itex]V_{μ} \partial_{α} V^{μ}[/itex] cancels out, and we have [itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} - V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β} [/itex].

We can rewrite [itex]V_{μ} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V^{β}[/itex] as [itex]V^{β} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V_{μ} [/itex].

Since [itex]μ[/itex] and [itex]β[/itex] are arbitrary indices, we can swap them around.

Thus, [itex] V^{β} \Gamma^{μ}_{αβ} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex], and

[itex] V^{μ} \nabla_{α} V_{μ} = V^{μ} \partial_{α} V_{μ} - V^{μ} \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex].

Eliminating [itex]V^{μ}[/itex], we reach the desired result:

[itex]\nabla_{α} V_{μ} = \partial_{α} V_{μ} - \Gamma^{β}_{αμ} V_{β} [/itex]

Related to How do I derive the Covariant Derivative for Covectors? (Lower index)

1. What is the definition of a covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index?

The covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index is a mathematical operation that involves taking the directional derivative of a covector in a curved space while accounting for any changes in the basis vectors due to the curvature of the space. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a covector along a given direction in a curved space.

2. How is the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index different from the covariant derivative for vectors with an upper index?

The main difference between the two derivatives lies in the transformation properties of the basis vectors. In the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index, the basis vectors are transformed by the inverse of the metric tensor, while in the covariant derivative for vectors with an upper index, the basis vectors are transformed by the metric tensor itself.

3. What is the formula for calculating the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index?

The formula for the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index is given by:
aωb = ∂aωb + Γcabωc
Where ∇a is the covariant derivative, ∂a is the partial derivative, ωb is the covector, and Γcab is the Christoffel symbol of the second kind.

4. Can the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index be calculated using index notation?

Yes, the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index can be expressed using index notation as:
aωb = ωb,a + Γcabωc
Where ωb,a is the partial derivative of ωb with respect to the coordinate in the a direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index?

The covariant derivative for covectors with a lower index is used in various fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and fluid mechanics. It is essential for understanding the behavior of physical quantities in curved spaces, such as the flow of fluids in a curved pipe or the motion of objects in a gravitational field.