How do I derive T (transmission) in a rectangular potential barrier with E > V0?

In summary, the conversation discusses barrier potential and its effects on wave functions, specifically in the case of a rectangular potential barrier. It mentions the use of boundary conditions to derive four functions and the calculation of A/F. The problem arises when trying to find T (transmission) due to the absence of K1 in the equation. The individual asking for help is directed to a similar example on Wikipedia for guidance. In the end, they are able to solve the problem.
knightil
Barrier potential, E> V0

V(X) = 0 ( x < 0 )
= V0 ( 0 < x < a )
= 0 ( x> a )

Psi(x)1 = Aexp[ik1x] + B exp[-ik1x]
Psi(x)2 = Cexp[ik2x] + D exp[-ik2x]
Psi(x)3 = Fexp[ik1x] + G exp[-ik1x] ( K3= K1 so I put k1 )

and G = 0 because there is no reflection,

I used B.C so I get 4 functions
and I calculated and I found what is A/F .
but there is problem
exp[ik2a] and exp[-ik2a], I changed into sine and cosine
but there is remaind exp[ik1a]

I have to derive T(transmission) but there is no K1
how do I eliminate that?

this problem is from Introductory Nuclear Physics chap.2 - 1
please help me :(

Physics news on Phys.org
nickjer said:
You definitely should show more work, since I have no idea what steps you are doing and where you went wrong. But wikipedia does a very similar problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangular_potential_barrier

my Q was how I change t to T in wikipedia where you link.
why there is sine fomula?

but, finally I've done :)
thank you

Related to How do I derive T (transmission) in a rectangular potential barrier with E > V0?

1. What is a rectangular potential barrier?

A rectangular potential barrier is a type of potential energy function used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle encountering a potential barrier with a constant height and width. It is often used to model the behavior of electrons in solid-state devices and in nuclear physics.

2. How does a rectangular potential barrier affect particle behavior?

A rectangular potential barrier causes particles to have a probability of being reflected or transmitted when encountering the barrier, depending on their energy and the height and width of the barrier. This results in a phenomenon known as quantum tunneling, where particles can pass through the barrier even if their energy is lower than the potential energy of the barrier.

3. What is the equation for a rectangular potential barrier?

The equation for a rectangular potential barrier is V(x) = { V0, x < 0 or x > L; 0, 0 < x < L } where V0 is the height of the barrier and L is the width of the barrier.

4. How is the transmission coefficient calculated for a rectangular potential barrier?

The transmission coefficient for a rectangular potential barrier can be calculated using the following equation: T = (1 + (V0^2 / 4E(V0 - E)) * sin^2(2kL), where E is the energy of the particle, k is the wave number, and L is the width of the barrier.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rectangular potential barrier?

Rectangular potential barriers are commonly used in solid-state devices such as transistors and diodes. They are also used in nuclear physics to model the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions and in particle accelerators. Additionally, they are used in nanotechnology to control the flow of electrons in nanoscale devices.