How do I correctly write 3x3 matrices using the text editor?

• Thread starter applechu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to correctly use the text editor in a forum to enter matrices. The user asks for a manual and provides an example of their attempt, which is then corrected and improved by another user with the use of LaTeX code. The second user also suggests using parentheses or square brackets for the matrix and provides a tip to use ## or $$ to surround the code.
applechu
Hi:
I am a newbie to this forum, and I don't know how to
use the text editor correctly. If I hope to write an 3x3 matrices,
how to key in it correctly in this thread.
and furthermore, if there any manual about the editor, thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried a example as following, but still not work:
\begin{matrix}
1 & 1 & -1\\
1 & -1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{matrix}

is there any other method, thanks

applechu said:
I have tried a example as following, but still not work:
\begin{matrix}
1 & 1 & -1\\
1 & -1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{matrix}

is there any other method, thanks

That looks pretty good! If you want round parentheses around your matrix use pmatrix:
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & -1\\
1 & -1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
$$
and for square brackets use bmatrix:
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & -1\\
1 & -1 & 1\\
1 & 1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
$$.

Also, surround your LaTeX with either ## or $$ (click 'Quote' to check out my example).

thanks

Related to How do I correctly write 3x3 matrices using the text editor?

1. How can I manipulate the text in a document?

There are several ways to manipulate text in a document, depending on the specific task you want to accomplish. Some common methods include using text editors or word processors, using programming languages like HTML or JavaScript, or using specialized software such as text manipulation utilities.

2. What is the purpose of manipulating text in a document?

The purpose of manipulating text in a document is to modify or control the appearance, organization, or structure of the text. This can include tasks like formatting text, adding or removing text, or changing the layout of the document.

3. Can text manipulation be automated?

Yes, text manipulation can be automated using various tools and techniques such as regular expressions, macros, or scripting languages. Automation can save time and effort when dealing with large amounts of text or performing repetitive tasks.

4. What are some common challenges when manipulating text in a document?

Some common challenges when manipulating text include dealing with different file formats, character encoding issues, or complex text structures. It's important to have a good understanding of the tools and techniques available to effectively overcome these challenges.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when manipulating text?

Yes, there can be ethical considerations when manipulating text in certain contexts. For example, in academic or research settings, it is important to properly cite and give credit to any sources that have been manipulated or paraphrased. It is also important to ensure that any changes made to a document do not misrepresent or manipulate the original content in a misleading or harmful way.