How do I calculate the rate constant units for excitation by electron impact?

In summary, the conversation is about the struggle to calculate the unit of the rate constant for excitation by electron impact. The formula for the rate constant includes variables such as the charge and mass of an electron, energy, cross section, and electron energy probability function. The formula can be found in various sources such as a research paper or a website. However, the speaker's calculation resulted in a different unit than what is found in the references. They are unsure of what they are missing and may seek help from a physics forum.
K-Manu
Hi,
I struggle to calculate the unit of the rate constant that is [m^3/sec]
rate constant of excitation by electron impact is as follows:
1690285029747.png

where, e=charge of electron [Coulomb], me=mass of electron [kg], ε=energy [eV], σe(ε)=cross section for electron impact [m^2], f(ε)=electron energy probability function [ev^-(3/2]. You can find the formula of rate constant in many works.
e. g. D. V. Lopaev, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 50 (2017) 075202 (17pp) or site: file:///C:/Users/default.DESKTOP-PJAUC0O/Desktop/bolsigdoc0316.pdf

As my calculation, result might be C^(1/2)*m^3/sec, not m^3/sec, contrary to the results in the references.
What am I missing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
K-Manu said:
or site: file:///C:/Users/default.DESKTOP-PJAUC0O/Desktop/bolsigdoc0316.pdf

This is just a file on some local disk, no way to read it.

If you won't get any help here, I will move the thread to physics.

1. What is the rate constant for excitation by electron impact?

The rate constant for excitation by electron impact is a measure of the speed at which a molecule is excited by an electron. It is typically denoted as k and has units of inverse time (s^-1).

2. How is the rate constant for excitation by electron impact calculated?

The rate constant for excitation by electron impact can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which takes into account the temperature, activation energy, and collision frequency of the molecules.

3. What are the units for the rate constant for excitation by electron impact?

The units for the rate constant for excitation by electron impact are typically expressed as inverse time (s^-1). However, in some cases, it may also be expressed in units of inverse energy (eV^-1) or inverse distance (cm^-3).

4. Can the rate constant for excitation by electron impact be measured experimentally?

Yes, the rate constant for excitation by electron impact can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electron energy loss spectroscopy or electron impact mass spectrometry.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the rate constant for excitation by electron impact?

Yes, the rate constant for excitation by electron impact can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the molecules involved. Additionally, the presence of other molecules or impurities in the system can also impact the rate constant.