How Do I Calculate the Diameter of a Shaft in a Torsion Problem?

• Thread starter markles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torsion
In summary, the problem involves finding the diameter of a steel shaft based on given working conditions and properties. The diameter can be calculated using the equation T/J = Gθ/L and has a value of 0.44 m.
markles
Hello I recently got handed this problem and I had a fair idea on how to go about it or so I thought! My only problem is I do not know how to find d? I would be grateful if someone could show me how to find d and show me the equation used

Thank you

Homework Statement

A steel shaft 3m long is transmitting 1MW at 240rev/min. The working conditions to
be satisfied by the shaft are:

(a) that the shaft must not twist more than 0.02radian on a length of 10 diameters;

(b) that the working stress must not exceed 60MN/m2.

If the modulus of rigidity of the steel 80GN/m2 what is

(i). the diameter of the shaft required;

(ii). the actual working stress;

(iii). the angle of twist of the 3m length?

Homework Equations

T/J=Gxtheta/L=t/R
T=power/W
rads=degrees x pi/180

The Attempt at a Solution

(1x106) /(240/2pi/60)= T = 39.793KN

J= pi x d4/32
diameter=d
T= Torque
G =mod of rigidity
J= polar second moment of area?
R= radius

d=?

G=80x109

G x theta (0.02) = 1.6x109/10d

what is the diameter? and how would i go about finding it?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the diameter, you need to use the equation T/J = Gθ/L. Rearrange the equation to solve for d: d = (T/Gθ)*(L/J) d = (39.793*10^3N / (80*10^9N/m2 * 0.02rad)) * (3m / (π * r^4/32)) d = 0.44 m

Hello, finding the diameter (d) in this problem involves using the equation T/J=Gxtheta/L, where T is the torque, J is the polar second moment of area, G is the modulus of rigidity, theta is the angle of twist, and L is the length of the shaft.

To find the diameter, we need to first find the polar second moment of area (J). This can be found using the equation J= pi x d^4/32, where d is the diameter of the shaft.

Next, we can substitute the given values into the equation T/J=Gxtheta/L and solve for d. This will give us the required diameter of the shaft.

To find the actual working stress, we can use the equation T/J=Gxtheta/L and solve for T. Then, we can use the equation T=power/W to find the actual working stress.

To find the angle of twist of the 3m length, we can use the equation T/J=Gxtheta/L and solve for theta. Then, we can convert the angle from radians to degrees using the equation rads=degrees x pi/180.

I hope this helps and provides some guidance for finding d in this problem. Good luck!

Related to How Do I Calculate the Diameter of a Shaft in a Torsion Problem?

1. What is the "Torsion problem finding d"?

The Torsion problem finding d is a mathematical problem that involves finding the value of the torsion constant (d) for a given cross-sectional shape of a beam. This value is used to determine the amount of torque that a beam can withstand before it starts to twist or deform.

2. Why is the Torsion problem finding d important?

The Torsion problem finding d is important because it helps engineers and scientists design and analyze structures that are subjected to torsional forces, such as beams and shafts. Knowing the value of d allows them to determine the maximum load that a structure can handle without failing.

3. What factors affect the value of d in the Torsion problem?

The value of d in the Torsion problem is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the cross-sectional shape of the beam, and the loading conditions. For example, a beam made of a stiffer material will have a higher value of d compared to a beam made of a less stiff material.

4. How is the Torsion problem finding d solved?

The Torsion problem finding d is typically solved using mathematical equations and formulas, such as the polar moment of inertia and the torsion formula. These equations take into account the material properties and cross-sectional shape of the beam to determine the value of d.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Torsion problem finding d?

The Torsion problem finding d is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the design of mechanical components, such as gears and turbines, which are subjected to torsional forces. Additionally, understanding the value of d can help prevent structural failures and ensure the safety and reliability of these structures and components.