How do I calculate impedance for different components at a specific frequency?

• Thread starter joe007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, impedance is a measure of the resistance to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit, which includes the effects of both resistance and reactance. It can be calculated using Ohm's Law or the formula Z = √(R² + X²), and is measured in ohms (Ω). Impedance is important because it affects the flow of electricity in a circuit and determines the current and frequency response. It differs from resistance in that resistance only takes into account the effects of direct current (DC), while impedance takes into account the effects of both direct and alternating current (AC).
joe007
Calculating Impedance Help!

Homework Statement

calcuate the impedance at the frequency 10Hz of a:

-4.7 kil0 ohm resistor
-1microFarad capacitor
-25mH inductor

Homework Equations

w=2*Pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

for the capacitor impedance= 1/20*Pi*1*10^-6

for the inductor impedance=(1/20*Pi)*25*10^-3

Are these correct? and how do i solve it for the 4.7kohm resistor??
\
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

The resistor will just be its own value, the total impdence will be the complex sum of all three.

Z = R +j(Xc+XL)

Your formula for finding the reactance of an inductor is not correct.

Related to How do I calculate impedance for different components at a specific frequency?

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the resistance to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance, which includes the effects of capacitance and inductance.

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). Z = V/I. It can also be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

3. What are the units of impedance?

Impedance is measured in ohms (Ω), which is the standard unit of electrical resistance. The symbol for ohms is the Greek letter Omega (Ω).

4. Why is impedance important?

Impedance is important because it affects the flow of electricity in a circuit. It determines how much current can flow through a circuit at a given voltage, and it also affects the frequency response of a circuit.

5. How does impedance differ from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC). Resistance only takes into account the effects of resistance, while impedance takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance.