How do I calculate eddy current losses in mains transformers?

In summary, eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. The purpose of calculating eddy currents is to understand and predict their effects on conductive materials. These currents can be calculated using the formula I = (σωB_0A)/(2ρ), where I is the eddy current, σ is the conductivity, ω is the angular frequency, B_0 is the strength of the magnetic field, and ρ is the resistivity of the material. The magnitude of eddy currents is affected by various factors, such as the strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the conductivity and resistivity of the material, and the size and shape of the conductor.
bootsnbraces
Hi all i hope some one can help but i have a feeling there will be no easy calculations for this one:confused:
Im trying to calculate actual eddy current losses in 50hz mains transformers depending on lamination sizes and can't seem to find any info on the subject that's sub electrical degree level. I am not looking to produce figures accurate to a milliwatt just relative numbers for comparison purposes

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
Harry

Physics news on Phys.org
I've long since forgotten how to do this but google found...

http://www.edn.com/design/component...sformer-at-a-frequency-it-wasn-t-designed-for

See...

using_a_power_transformer_at_a_frequency_it_wasn_t_designed_for_equation_2.jpg

Related to How do I calculate eddy current losses in mains transformers?

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. What is the purpose of calculating eddy currents?

The purpose of calculating eddy currents is to understand and predict the effects of these currents on conductive materials, such as heating or magnetic field interference.

3. How are eddy currents calculated?

Eddy currents can be calculated using the formula: I = (σωB_0A)/(2ρ), where I is the eddy current, σ is the conductivity of the material, ω is the angular frequency of the changing magnetic field, B_0 is the strength of the magnetic field, and ρ is the resistivity of the material.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of eddy currents?

The magnitude of eddy currents is affected by the strength and frequency of the changing magnetic field, the conductivity and resistivity of the material, and the size and shape of the conductor.

5. How can eddy currents be minimized or controlled?

Eddy currents can be minimized or controlled by using materials with lower conductivity, creating barriers or shielding to reduce the strength of the magnetic field, and designing conductors with smaller cross-sectional areas.