How do i build a electronic wire strippers?

In summary, the person wants to make a wire stripper that can strip many size wire. They live in town and do not want to burn the wire. They go to school at vo-tech for electrical engineering and know a little about electronics. They are concerned about how to untangle the wire before it can be fed into anything.
slee95
Hi i work at mission central tearing down computers and other electronics plus i look for electronics at the curb that people threw out. I was wondering if i can make a wire strippers that will strip many size wire and also feed it through by itself or with a little help. I want to make it with junk or as cheaply as possible. I want to build one to recycle wire and make some extra cash. I LIVE IN TOWN AND DO NOT WANT TO BURN IT, because its illegal and bad for the air. I go to school at vo-tech for electrical engineering so i know a little about electronics but have only been there for a year. This is the school i go to http://www.cpavts.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you melt it without actually burning it? Of course, you would have to determine whether or not that would still produce toxic fumes.
One question: does the wire have to survive this unscathed, or can you damage it? I ask because it seems to me that one of the simplest approaches would be to repeatedly run it through a couple of sanding belts.

Could you set up a die with 2 adjustable opposing blades. Run the wire through the die with the blades adjusted to the surface of the wire, this would slit the insulation on 2 sides of the wire. Run the wire through a second die which separates the cut insulation from the wire to a take up spool.

The challenge would be to find blades which would last and be sharp enough to cut the insulation effectively.

Integral said:
The challenge would be to find blades which would last and be sharp enough to cut the insulation effectively.

Ceramics might be applicable.

I was thinking disk Blade Drill a hole in something like a 2x4 put the blade on the bottom of the hole and a bolt on top to push the wire down on the blade the tricky part is how can i electronically feed it through?

slee95 said:
I was thinking disk Blade Drill a hole in something like a 2x4 put the blade on the bottom of the hole and a bolt on top to push the wire down on the blade the tricky part is how can i electronically feed it through?

Can you elaborate upon that? Sorry, but I don't quite know what you mean. "Bolt"? If my initial impression of that is correct, as in it being a "plunger", I don't think that it's the right way to go. A friction wheel would be my approach for the final feed system, but neither of those address the problem of untangling the mass of wire preparatory to stripping it.

Feed the wire to a spool then use the spool to pull the wire through. If you wanted to get fancy throw in some friction wheels after the split and remove die.

ok i'll try.

Integral said:
Feed the wire to a spool then use the spool to pull the wire through.
Good idea. I'm still concerned, though, about how to untangle the wire before it can be fed into anything. As part of my ADD/OCD, I used to pick up anything that had any hope of being useful for anything in the future... including wire. Almost all that I ever found was scrunched up and kinked and generally looked pretty much like a bird's nest. That isn't conducive to mechanized threading.

Yes lots of wire stored in my room in hopes of being turned into cash :)

Not sure of the practicality but could you use liquid nitrogen and cause the insulation to break off? I bet you could do a great deal of wire at a time.

i was sort of thing along those lines fizz except use like a week acid base.

slee95 said:
acid base.
Doesn't that qualify as an oxymoron? :biggrin:

it shouldn't cause bad fume for the environment if a could some how jimmy rig a fume hood right?

slee95 said:
it shouldn't cause bad fume for the environment if a could some how jimmy rig a fume hood right?

Close, but wrong name. The term is Jerry-rigged, or sometimes jury-rigged. :biggrin: Anyhow, the use of a vent hood will protect you but not the environment. Unless you have some fancy filter system installed, which would exceed your budgetary requirements, it will just pipe the pollutants out of the building and into the atmosphere.
The reason that I didn't suggest an acid bath was because it will also damage the wire. In fact, the metal might be far more susceptible to acid erosion than the plastic.

Damn :( ok back to the drawing bored i talked to dad he said it might be a waist of electricity to sand the plastic off the wire :(

You don't have to use electricity to mechanize something. How are wind conditions in your area?

i live in Mechanicsburg pa :)

slee95 said:
i live in Mechanicsburg pa :)

Oops. For some reason, your posts led me to think that you were in a different demographic.

demographic? what's that?

slee95 said:
demographic? what's that?

Sorry; that just means a segment of society. When you mentioned finding things in the street, I thought that perhaps you were in an area with lax disposal protocols such as in parts of Asia.

If you're pulling it through a die, why not just add a knife blade or two to slit the jacketing / insulation? If you wind the stripped wire to one spool, and the jacket / insulation to another, I'd think that'd result in separated wire with minimal mess (compared to sand-blasting or nitrogen freezing and shattering). Unfortunately, it'd probably only be worthwhile if you have long lengths of cable.

just recently i was given 3 spools of wire and it looks like two much for me to strip and one spool is tv wire and that's a pain to strip :(

Some coatings on wires might not be worth stripping (other than with a fire).
You might try a hot knife, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/89_2048_137/products_id/76375/n/X-ACTO-Soldering-Iron-Hot-Knife?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&source=google_ppc_ext&gclid=CJbk5cae2LECFfADtgod9EUAlw
Pull the wire over a tight radius wheel, and have the hot knife cutting down to the copper. Use a revise tight radius wheel and a mechanical edge to remove the now split jacket.
A word of caution, DO NOT burn off any Teflon jackets, the fumes are toxic.

slee95 said:
one spool is tv wire and that's a pain to strip :(

Do you mean twin-lead or coax? The latter is probably worth a lot more intact.

The tv cable is the type that screws onto the back it has the single copper lead in the middle.

slee95 said:
The tv cable is the type that screws onto the back it has the single copper lead in the middle.
That's coaxial. I don't know about in the US, but here it's quite expensive. You can probably sell it for more as it is than for the metal contained in it.

Related to How do i build a electronic wire strippers?

1. How do I choose the right wire stripper for my project?

When choosing a wire stripper, consider the wire gauge, insulation type, and stripping range. Make sure the stripper is suitable for the wire size and insulation type you will be working with. Also, check the stripping range to ensure it can accommodate the range of wire sizes you will be using.

2. What are the basic components of an electronic wire stripper?

An electronic wire stripper typically consists of a wire cutter, insulation stripper, and wire gauge selector. Some models may also include a wire crimper and cutter, as well as a built-in measuring device for accurate stripping.

3. How do I use an electronic wire stripper?

First, select the correct wire gauge on the stripper. Then, insert the wire into the designated hole and squeeze the handles to cut the wire. Next, pull the wire to remove the insulation. Finally, release the handles and remove the stripped wire.

4. Can I use an electronic wire stripper on all types of wire?

Not all wire strippers are suitable for every type of wire. Some strippers may be designed for specific wire gauges or insulation types, so it is important to choose the right stripper for your project. Consult the manufacturer's instructions or do some research to determine if the stripper is suitable for the wire you will be working with.

5. How do I maintain and clean my electronic wire stripper?

To maintain your electronic wire stripper, regularly clean it with a soft cloth and lubricate any moving parts with a small amount of oil. Make sure to also store it in a dry and secure place when not in use. If the blades become dull, they can usually be sharpened or replaced by following the manufacturer's instructions.