How do I apply rolling friction to a ball?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about applying rolling friction to a ball and the confusion about where to plug it in. The speaker mentions knowing the desired rolling friction but not being able to simply subtract it from the velocity, as the ball would continue moving back and forth. They also question the force of rolling friction being dependent on the ball's velocity and mention using a physics engine that does not have rolling friction built in.
hyacint
Hello,

I need to apply rolling friction to a ball, but I don't understand where to plug it in.

I know the rolling friction that I want to put in, but I can't just subtract the force of rolling friction on velocity, because the ball would never come to a stop, it would turn back again (and make the ball going back and forward when velocity is smaller than that force).

F = µmg right? (on a flat plane at least)

But isn't this force depending on the velocity of the ball too? Because this force can't be more than the velocity of the ball, if so the ball could never stop. I don't get it.

I'm using a physics engine that handles everything else, but I need to plug in this rolling friction because the engine doesn't have it built in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity has a SIGN, remember.

Related to How do I apply rolling friction to a ball?

What is rolling friction and how does it differ from other types of friction?

Rolling friction is the resistance to motion that occurs when an object rolls over a surface. It differs from other types of friction, such as sliding or static friction, because it involves the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

What are some common examples of rolling friction in everyday life?

Some common examples of rolling friction include rolling a ball or a tire, riding a bike or skateboard, and using a rolling office chair.

How is rolling friction affected by the weight and shape of an object?

The weight and shape of an object can affect the amount of rolling friction it experiences. Generally, a heavier object will experience more rolling friction than a lighter object, and a rounder object will experience less rolling friction than a more angular object.

How can we reduce rolling friction in order to improve efficiency?

One way to reduce rolling friction is to use smoother and harder surfaces, as they will deform less and create less resistance. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object can also decrease rolling friction.

How does rolling friction play a role in the design and function of vehicles?

Rolling friction is a significant factor in the design and function of vehicles, particularly in terms of fuel efficiency. By reducing rolling friction, vehicles can achieve better gas mileage and overall performance. This is why many vehicles have specialized tires and wheel designs to minimize rolling friction.