How do I account for a Jacobian when changing coordinates for two particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of computing matrix elements of a two body quantum-mechanical potential. The speaker explains that to do this integral, they make a change of coordinates which gives a momentum conserving delta function times the Fourier transform of the potential. However, they express concern about potentially missing an overall Jacobian factor when making this swap. They then provide a possible solution and seek guidance on the issue. In the end, the speaker figures out the solution involving the orientation of area elements.
UVCatastrophe
I am computing matrix elements of a two body quantum-mechanical potential, which take the form

[tex] V_{k l m n} = \int d^3 r_1 d^3 r_2 e^{-i k \cdot r_1} e^{-i l \cdot r_2} V( | r_1-r_2 | ) e^{i m \cdot r_1} e^{i n \cdot r_2} [/tex]

To do this integral, I make the change of coordinates
[tex] \overset{\rightarrow}{r} \equiv ( \overset{\rightarrow}{r}_1 - \overset{\rightarrow}{r}_2 ) / 2, \overset{\rightarrow}{R} \equiv ( \overset{\rightarrow}{r}_1 + \overset{\rightarrow}{r}_2 ) / 2 ,[/tex]

which gives a momentum conserving delta function times the Fourier transform of the potential. This is exactly what as expected, but I am concerned that I am missing an overall Jacobian factor when I make the swap

[tex] d^3 r_1 d^3 r_2 \rightarrow d^3 R d^3 r [/tex]

I know how to get Jacobians for a single particle's coordinates, but for some reason I can't think straight about two particles. Can anyone provide guidance on this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out...

Suppose [itex] X \equiv (x + y)/2 , Y \equiv (x - y)/2 [/itex]. Then [itex] dx \wedge dy = (dX + dY) \wedge (dX - dY) = dY \wedge dX - dX \wedge dY = -2 dX \wedge dY [/itex]

I am being sloppy, because I am planning on throwing out that minus sign; perhaps someone can enlighten me (I think it has to do with orientation; in any case area elements can't be negative -- that would just be nonsense!)

Related to How do I account for a Jacobian when changing coordinates for two particles?

1. What is the Jacobian for CoM coordinates?

The Jacobian for CoM (Center of Mass) coordinates is a mathematical tool used in robotics and biomechanics to calculate the relationship between the movement of a robot's or human's center of mass and the corresponding joint movements. It is essentially a matrix that maps the velocity of each joint to the velocity of the center of mass.

2. Why is the Jacobian for CoM coordinates important?

The Jacobian for CoM coordinates is important because it allows us to analyze and control the movement of a robot or human in a more efficient and effective way. By understanding the relationship between joint movements and the center of mass, we can improve stability, balance, and overall performance.

3. How is the Jacobian for CoM coordinates calculated?

The Jacobian for CoM coordinates is calculated using a combination of differential calculus and linear algebra. It involves taking partial derivatives of the position of the center of mass with respect to each joint, and then arranging these derivatives in a matrix form.

4. What are some applications of the Jacobian for CoM coordinates?

The Jacobian for CoM coordinates has many applications in the fields of robotics and biomechanics. It is used in robotic control and planning, motion analysis and optimization, and in the development of exoskeletons and other assistive devices for human movement.

5. Can the Jacobian for CoM coordinates be generalized for different types of robots or humans?

Yes, the Jacobian for CoM coordinates can be generalized for different types of robots or humans. It is a versatile tool that can be adapted to different systems by changing the number of joints and the position of the center of mass. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the Jacobian may vary depending on the complexity and dynamics of the system.