How Do Friction and Normal Force Affect Stability in a Pinned Structure?

In summary: But you can solve for the other two unknowns and check if the solution is consistent with the torque equation.In summary, the problem involves three points (ABC) with a downward force applied at point O. Point C is pinned to a vertical wall, while point B extends horizontally for 15m and then bends downwards to point A on the ground. The downward force is applied between points B and A at point O, with a horizontal distance of 5m from B to O and 2m from O to A. The force applied at O is 40N downwards towards the ground. The problem asks to determine the friction and normal force acting at point A, as well as the minimum coefficient of friction needed for the bar not
umchemist

Homework Statement

sample.png

Three points, ABC and a downward force exerted at O. C is pinned to a vertical wall. C to B extends horizontally for 15m. At B, a bend occurs downwards to point A on the ground. The downward force is applied between points B and A at point O. The horizontal distance from B to O is 5m and from O to A is 2m.

The force applied at O is 40N downwards towards the ground.

i) Determine the friction and normal force acting at A
ii) Determine the minimum uk required for the bar not to move.

Homework Equations

Sum of all Fx and Fy must equal 0. Friction=(uk)Fn, Moment=F*d?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just learning this topic and have spent a great deal of time looking at friction on inclined planes. When I came to this question, I simply am confused where to begin. Calculating the moment calculates a force representing what when it comes to friction? Looking for a solution to guide me though how to begin analyzing these types of problems. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
umchemist said:

Homework Statement

sample.png

Three points, ABC and a downward force exerted at O. C is pinned to a vertical wall. C to B extends horizontally for 15m. At B, a bend occurs downwards to point A on the ground. The downward force is applied between points B and A at point O. The horizontal distance from B to O is 5m and from O to A is 2m.

The force applied at O is 40N downwards towards the ground.

i) Determine the friction and normal force acting at A
ii) Determine the minimum uk required for the bar not to move.

Homework Equations

Sum of all Fx and Fy must equal 0. Friction=(uk)Fn, Moment=F*d?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just learning this topic and have spent a great deal of time looking at friction on inclined planes. When I came to this question, I simply am confused where to begin. Calculating the moment calculates a force representing what when it comes to friction? Looking for a solution to guide me though how to begin analyzing these types of problems. Thank you.

Are we to assume (or were you told) that there is a frictionless hinge at B?
Otherwise friction at A doesn't seem to come into the problem.

Unfortunately, it does not say. So yes, I suppose we assume there is friction at B. But we do not know the coefficient? Or does it matter?

The question 'works' if it's a rigid bar, not hinged at C, and assuming same coefficient of friction at both contacts.
It also works if hinged at B and C, but then you'd also need to know the height.

So it's not hinged at c, but where does one begin the analysis?

umchemist said:
So it's not hinged at c, but where does one begin the analysis?
Assign (unique) names to the unknown normal forces. If it slips, it must slip at both contact points, so in the limiting case you can assume each is at the limit of static friction. Now you can write down the three usual statics equations - horizontal, vertical and torque. But the torque equation will involve the height, another unknown, so that won't be useful here.

Related to How Do Friction and Normal Force Affect Stability in a Pinned Structure?

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion or sliding of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities in the surfaces of objects.

2. How does friction affect objects?

Friction can either slow down or prevent the motion of an object, or it can cause the object to heat up due to the energy dissipated as heat. It can also cause wear and tear on the surfaces of objects.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the nature of the surfaces, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness and contact area of the surfaces.

4. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude to the force that the object exerts on the surface.

5. How does normal force relate to friction?

Normal force and friction are directly related. The greater the normal force, the greater the friction between two surfaces. This is because a larger normal force means there is more pressure between the surfaces, which increases the frictional force.