How Do Friction and Normal Force Act on a Rod at an Angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rod of mass m being released from rest at an angle of 60 degrees with the ground. The force of friction is assumed to prevent sliding of the rod. The question asks for the normal reaction and frictional force immediately after the rod is released. The person attempted to solve the problem using the sum of forces in the x and y directions, but is confused about the motion in the y direction. They also asked about the free-body diagram and the motion of point A if there were no friction.
nil1996

Homework Statement

Here is a rod of mass m(as shown in figure)which is released from rest.The angle made by the rod with the ground is 600. Assume that the force of friction is enough to prevent sliding of the rod.Find the normal reaction and the frictional force just after the rod is released.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1282/xvug.png

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the components of the forces on the axis-one along the rod and other perpendicular to the rod.I have used ƩFx=0(as there is no motion in the direction along the rod-if i am correct). But i am not able to compute ƩFy as there is motion in y axis.I am confused please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a free-body diagram for the rod?
If there were no friction, what would the motion of point A be?
What would be the reaction force there?

Related to How Do Friction and Normal Force Act on a Rod at an Angle?

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's First Law apply to a simple problem?

In a simple problem, an object at rest will remain at rest unless a force is applied to it. Similarly, an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless a force is applied to change its motion.

3. What is the equation for Newton's First Law?

The equation for Newton's First Law is F = ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. How does Newton's First Law differ from the other laws of motion?

Newton's First Law is unique because it deals with the concept of inertia, or an object's tendency to resist changes in its motion. The Second Law focuses on the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while the Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. Can Newton's First Law be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Newton's First Law can be applied to many real-life situations, such as a car coasting on a flat road, a ball rolling down a hill, or a person sitting in a chair. It helps us understand why objects behave the way they do and how forces can affect their motion.