How Do Forces Affect Motion in 2D Kinematics?

• Thread starter rjs123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 0.5kg mass traveling at 1200 m/s in the -x direction with a force of (2.3i + .093j)N applied to it. The goal is to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the mass after 1 second, without taking into account gravitational force. The solution involves using F=ma and applying Newton's equations of motion using a vector approach to solve for the velocities and position in the x and y directions separately. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
rjs123

Homework Statement

Lets say I have a .5kg mass traveling at 1200 m/s in the -x direction with 0 acceleration. The force applied to this mass is (2.3i + .093j)N. I have to find position, velocity, and acceleration at say 1 second after the force is applied. No gravitational force involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

F = ma will give me the acceleration. Should I just consider the force applied in the x direction? 2.3 N? I've only dealt with 1-d kinematics to this point...it seems the y force will only come into play for position...I could be wrong though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector approach is suitable for this kind of problem . resolve the velocities and forces and apply Newton's eqn of motion and equations of motion in straight line to solve the velocities and position at every time in x and y direction independently!

Freeze3018 said:
Vector approach is suitable for this kind of problem . resolve the velocities and forces and apply Newton's eqn of motion and equations of motion in straight line to solve the velocities and position at every time in x and y direction independently!

thanks i see how to do it now.

Ur welcome buddy!

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given information and the unknowns. The given information includes the mass of the object (0.5kg), its initial velocity (1200 m/s in the -x direction), and the applied force (2.3i + .093j)N. The unknowns are the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object after 1 second.

To find the acceleration, we can use the equation F = ma, where F is the applied force and m is the mass of the object. Since the force is given in vector form, we can separate it into its x and y components. The x component of the force is 2.3N, which will result in an acceleration of 2.3 m/s^2 in the -x direction. The y component of the force is 0.093N, which will not contribute to the acceleration since there is no acceleration in the y direction.

Next, we can use the equations of motion to find the position and velocity of the object after 1 second. Since the object has an initial velocity and constant acceleration in the x direction, we can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 to find the position. Plugging in the values, we get x = 1200 m - 2.3 m/s^2 * 1 s^2 = 1197.7 m. This means that after 1 second, the object will be 1197.7 meters away from its initial position in the -x direction.

To find the velocity, we can use the equation v = v0 + at. Plugging in the values, we get v = 1200 m/s - 2.3 m/s^2 * 1 s = 1197.7 m/s. This means that after 1 second, the object will still be traveling at 1197.7 m/s in the -x direction.

In conclusion, the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object after 1 second can be determined by considering the applied force in the x direction and using the equations of motion. It is important to note that the y component of the force does not affect the motion of the object in this scenario. This problem showcases the application of 2-dimensional kinematics and how it can be used to solve real-world problems.

Related to How Do Forces Affect Motion in 2D Kinematics?

1. What is 2-D kinematics?

2-D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, taking into account both horizontal and vertical components of an object's movement.

2. How is 2-D kinematics different from 1-D kinematics?

1-D kinematics only considers motion along a single dimension, usually the horizontal or vertical axis. 2-D kinematics takes into account both horizontal and vertical motion, which allows for a more comprehensive analysis of an object's movement.

3. What are some common equations used in 2-D kinematics?

Some common equations used in 2-D kinematics include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The Pythagorean theorem is also frequently used to find the magnitude of an object's displacement.

4. How can I visualize 2-D kinematics?

One way to visualize 2-D kinematics is by using a graph, with time on the horizontal axis and displacement, velocity, or acceleration on the vertical axis. Another way is by using vector diagrams, which show the magnitude and direction of an object's motion in two dimensions.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2-D kinematics?

2-D kinematics is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects. It can also be applied to the study of projectiles, such as the motion of a ball thrown or kicked through the air.