How Do Electric and Magnetic Fields Oscillate in Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light as an electromagnetic wave and the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in this wave. The mechanism for the oscillation and transformation of these fields is not fully understood and there is a question about the existence of an electromagnetic field in an immobile charge. There is also a request for a simple explanation of these concepts and a recommendation for further research on Maxwell's equations.
firavia
In the case of "Light" when it is considerd as an electromagnetic wave , this wave consist of an electric field and magnetic field oscillating all the time when the electric field is maximum the magnetic field is minimum and vice versa , my question is : what is the mechanism that create such oscillation and trasformation of electric field into magnetic field ??

my 2nd question is : an immobile charge is known to have only an electric field , can u give me an example about an immobile charge ? , electron are never immobile iside an atome am I right ? so they do always have an electromagnetic field or we can't suppose that because the charge of an electron is canceled by the charge of the proton ? ,and if not does an electron transmit electromagentic wave all the time , because of its immobility ?
can you please help giving me a descent easy book that explain such things , a book for dummies with minimum mathematical equation and lots of physical explanations .
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the answer to your first question is because Mr. Ampere said so :-p. I can't give you an explanation as so why a changing E-field creates a changing B-field, other than to say it is simply one of the laws of electromagnetism. Maybe someone else on here knows about the subject more deeply.

firavia said:
In the case of "Light" when it is considerd as an electromagnetic wave , this wave consist of an electric field and magnetic field oscillating all the time when the electric field is maximum the magnetic field is minimum and vice versa
This is not correct. The E- and B-field are in-phase. They are both maximum at the same time and zero at the same time.

firavia said:
my 2nd question is : an immobile charge is known to have only an electric field , can u give me an example about an immobile charge ? , electron are never immobile iside an atome am I right ? so they do always have an electromagnetic field or we have not tosay that because the charge of an electron is canceled by the charge of the proton ? ,and if not does an electron transmit electromagentic wave all the time , because of its immobility ?
can you please help giving me a descent easy book that explain such things , a book for dummies with minimum mathematical equation and lots of physical explanations.
This is one of the basic results that cannot be explained using classical mechanics and led to the development of quantum mechanics. I don't know a good easy reference for quantum mechanics, but I am sure that someone here will know one.

Why both fields oscillate ? what is the mechanism that oscillate them ??

firavia said:
Why both fields oscillate ? what is the mechanism that oscillate them ??
Maxwell's equations describe the oscillation. Have you studied Maxwell's equations?

Related to How Do Electric and Magnetic Fields Oscillate in Light?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it exerts a force on other charged particles within its range.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that is created by moving electric charges. It is also a vector field, and it exerts a force on other moving charges within its range.

What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often considered different aspects of the same phenomenon. An electric field can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can create an electric field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

How are electric and magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Electric and magnetic fields have numerous applications in everyday life. They are used in electrical power generation, transportation (such as in motors and generators), communication (such as in radios and televisions), and medical imaging (such as in MRI machines).

What are some potential health risks associated with electric and magnetic fields?

There is ongoing research on the potential health risks of exposure to electric and magnetic fields. Some studies suggest that long-term exposure to high levels of these fields may have negative health effects, but more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.