How Do Dirac Gamma Matrices Satisfy Their Anticommutation Relations?

In summary, we are given the relation \gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1 and we are asked to prove \gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=2g_{\mu\nu}*1 using the given identity and the equations g^{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\nu}=\gamma^{\mu} and g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}=\gamma_{\mu}. By replacing mu and nu with their possible values and using the fact that the metric tensor is diagonal, the desired result is easily obtained. Another method
McLaren Rulez

Homework Statement

Given that [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1[/itex] where [itex]1[/itex] is the identity matrix and the [itex]\gamma[/itex] are the gamma matrices from the Dirac equation, prove that:

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=2g_{\mu\nu}*1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]g^{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\nu}=\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}=\gamma_{\mu}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to start with. I tried expressing the terms of the relation to be proved as follows

[itex]\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{\alpha}g_{\nu \beta}\gamma^{\beta}+ g_{\nu\beta}\gamma^{\beta}g_{\mu\alpha}\gamma^{ \alpha }[/itex]

but that isn't going anywhere. So how do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, just replace mu and nu with their possible values and see what you get. Don't forget that the metric tensor is diagonal (probably diag(+,-,-,-)).

McLaren Rulez said:
Given that [itex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=2g^{\mu\nu}*1[/itex]

Another way to do it is to multiply both sides of this equation by [itex]g_{\alpha \mu} g _{\beta \nu}[/itex].

Thank you George Jones! That did the trick nicely. Using [itex]g_{\mu\alpha}g^{\alpha\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] the result follows easily.

dextercioby, thank you for replying. I think your method also works but I must assume the metric is diag(1, -1 , -1, -1) which is not always the case right?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties of the gamma matrices and the identity matrix. The gamma matrices are a set of four 4x4 matrices that satisfy the anti-commutation relation given in the homework statement, and the identity matrix is a diagonal matrix with all diagonal elements equal to 1.

Next, I would use the given equations to manipulate the terms in the relation to be proved. For example, we can substitute g^{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\nu}=\gamma^{\mu} into the first term to get:

\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}\gamma_{\nu}+ \gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}

Then, we can use the anti-commutation relation to simplify the expression:

g_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}\gamma_{\nu}+ \gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}= 2g_{\mu\nu}\delta^{\nu}_{\nu}= 2g_{\mu\nu}*1

Finally, we can use the properties of the identity matrix to get the desired result:

2g_{\mu\nu}*1= 2g_{\mu\nu}\delta^{\mu}_{\mu}= 2g_{\mu\nu}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}= \gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}

Therefore, we have proved the given relation:

\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{\nu}+\gamma_{\nu}\gamma_{\mu}=2g_{\mu\nu}*1

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties of the given matrices and then using algebraic manipulations and properties to prove the desired relation.

Related to How Do Dirac Gamma Matrices Satisfy Their Anticommutation Relations?

1. What are Dirac Gamma matrices?

Dirac Gamma matrices are a set of mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to describe the spin of particles. They were first introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 as a way to combine the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How are Dirac Gamma matrices represented?

Dirac Gamma matrices are typically represented by a set of four 4x4 matrices, denoted by γμ where μ represents the four dimensions of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac Gamma matrices?

The Dirac Gamma matrices are significant because they provide a mathematical framework for describing particles with spin, such as electrons, in quantum field theory. They also help to reconcile the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. How are Dirac Gamma matrices used in physics?

Dirac Gamma matrices are used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. They are particularly useful for describing the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin.

5. What is the relation between Dirac Gamma matrices and the Dirac equation?

The Dirac Gamma matrices are fundamental to the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions. The γμ matrices appear in the Dirac equation as operators that act on the wave function of a particle, allowing us to make predictions about its behavior.