How Do Conformal Transformations Extend Lorentz Symmetry in Physics?

In summary: It's simpler than that. Try to use one of the identities to show that \partial^2 \partial \cdot f=0 first.
latentcorpse
The group of four dimensional space time symmetries may be generalised to conformal transformations [itex]x \rightarrow x'[/itex] defined by the requirement

[itex]dx'^2 = \Omega(x)^2 dx^2[/itex]

where [itex]dx^2 = g_{\mu \nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu[/itex] (recall that Lorentz invariance requires [itex]\Omega=1[/itex]). For an infinitesimal transformation [itex]x'^\mu = x^\mu + f^\mu(x), \Omega(x)^2=1+2 \sigma(x)[/itex].

Show that [itex]\partial_\mu f_\nu + \partial_\nu f_\mu = 2 \sigma g_{\mu \nu} \Rightarrow \partial \cdot f = 4 \sigma[/itex]

That was easy enough - I just multiplied through by a metric.

The next bit is:

Hence obtain

[itex]4 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu f_\nu = g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f + g_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu \partial \cdot f[/itex]

I simply have no idea how to get this to work!

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to show that is to obtain a formula for [tex]g_{\mu\nu} \partial_\sigma \partial\cdot f[/tex] by differentiating the formula that you already obtained. This formula will let you obtain expressions for each term on the RHS. By simplifying, you will obtain the LHS.

fzero said:
The easiest way to show that is to obtain a formula for [tex]g_{\mu\nu} \partial_\sigma \partial\cdot f[/tex] by differentiating the formula that you already obtained. This formula will let you obtain expressions for each term on the RHS. By simplifying, you will obtain the LHS.

ok thanks. i get:

[itex]\partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f = 4 \partial_\sigma \sigma \Rightarrow g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f=4 g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \sigma[/itex]
So,
RHS= [itex] g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f + g_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu \partial \cdot f[/itex]
[itex]=4 g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \sigma = 4 g_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu \sigma - 4 g_
{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu \sigma[/itex]

not sure how to simplify this - i can't get rid of the metric because the contracted term will need dummy indices such as [itex]\partial \cdot f = \partial_\tau f^\tau[/itex] and the metric cannot act on these since the indices won't match up, will they?

You need to use

[itex]
\partial_\mu f_\nu + \partial_\nu f_\mu = 2 \sigma g_{\mu \nu}
[/itex]

as well.

fzero said:
You need to use

[itex]
\partial_\mu f_\nu + \partial_\nu f_\mu = 2 \sigma g_{\mu \nu}
[/itex]

as well.

great!

The next step is to show [itex]2 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f = -g_{\sigma \mu} \partial^2 \partial \cdot f[/itex]

so i tried multiplyign through my last expression by [itex]\frac{1}{2} g_^{\mu \nu}[/itex] to no avail as i keep getting contraction of my metrics and clearly i want to keep a metric in the RHS?

You should take an appropriate derivative of

[itex]
4 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu f_\nu = g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f + g_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu \partial \cdot f
[/itex]

to show that.

fzero said:
You should take an appropriate derivative of

[itex]
4 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu f_\nu = g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\sigma \partial \cdot f + g_{\sigma \nu} \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial_\nu \partial \cdot f
[/itex]

to show that.

ok. i used [itex]\partial^\nu[/itex] and that worked fine. Now I am supposed to show that [itex]\partial_\sigma \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f=0[/itex]. Is this because [itex]g_{\sigma \mu} = 0[/itex] for [itex]\sigma \neq \mu[/itex] since the question said we are dealing with a Lorentzian metric? i.e. g is diag(1,-1,-1,-1) or (-1,1,1,1) depending on convention used.

Why does it then follow that [itex]f_\mu(x)[/itex] can only be quadratic in [itex]x[/itex]?

latentcorpse said:
ok. i used [itex]\partial^\nu[/itex] and that worked fine. Now I am supposed to show that [itex]\partial_\sigma \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f=0[/itex]. Is this because [itex]g_{\sigma \mu} = 0[/itex] for [itex]\sigma \neq \mu[/itex] since the question said we are dealing with a Lorentzian metric? i.e. g is diag(1,-1,-1,-1) or (-1,1,1,1) depending on convention used.

It's simpler than that. Try to use one of the identities to show that [itex] \partial^2 \partial \cdot f=0[/itex] first.

Why does it then follow that [itex]f_\mu(x)[/itex] can only be quadratic in [itex]x[/itex]?

You can expand [itex]f_\mu(x)[/itex] in a power series if you want.

fzero said:
It's simpler than that. Try to use one of the identities to show that [itex] \partial^2 \partial \cdot f=0[/itex] first.

You can expand [itex]f_\mu(x)[/itex] in a power series if you want.

is it as simple as taking
[itex]2 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f = - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial^2 \partial \cdot f[/itex]
and multiplying through by a [itex]g^{\sigma \mu}[/itex]

to get 2 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f = -4 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f \Rightarrow 6 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f =0[/itex] hence result?

i am not sure what to do for the power series bit?
[itex]f_\mu(x)= \dots[/itex]
how do i organise the indices on the RHS of that?

latentcorpse said:
is it as simple as taking
[itex]2 \partial_\sigma \partial_\mu \partial \cdot f = - g_{\sigma \mu} \partial^2 \partial \cdot f[/itex]
and multiplying through by a [itex]g^{\sigma \mu}[/itex]

to get 2 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f = -4 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f \Rightarrow 6 \partial^2 \partial \cdot f =0[/itex] hence result?

Yes.

i am not sure what to do for the power series bit?
[itex]f_\mu(x)= \dots[/itex]
how do i organise the indices on the RHS of that?

Around the zero vector,

[tex]f_\mu(x) = \sum_n c_{\mu \mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n} } x^{\mu_1} \cdots x^{\mu_n},[/tex]

where the [tex] c_{\mu \mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n} }[/tex] are constant coefficients.

fzero said:
Yes.

Around the zero vector,

[tex]f_\mu(x) = \sum_n c_{\mu \mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n} } x^{\mu_1} \cdots x^{\mu_n},[/tex]

where the [tex] c_{\mu \mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n} }[/tex] are constant coefficients.

don't you mean [itex]f_\mu(x) = c_\mu + c_{\mu_1} x^{\mu_1} + c_{\mu_2} x^{\mu_2} + \dots[/itex]?

so how do i justify this? can i just say

[itex]\partial \cdot f = \mu_1 c_{\mu_1} + \mu_2 c_{\mu_2} x^{\mu_1} + \mu_3 c_{\mu_3} x^{\mu_2} + \dots[/itex]
and then
[itex]\partial^2 \partial \cdot f = \mu_1 \mu_2 \mu_3 c_{\mu_3} + \mu_1 \mu_2 \mu_3 \mu_4 c_{\mu_4} x^{\mu_1} + \dots = 0[/itex]

how can i tell then that [itex]c_{\mu_i}=0 \forall i \geq 3[/itex]?

Thanks.

latentcorpse said:
don't you mean [itex]f_\mu(x) = c_\mu + c_{\mu_1} x^{\mu_1} + c_{\mu_2} x^{\mu_2} + \dots[/itex]?

so how do i justify this? can i just say

[itex]\partial \cdot f = \mu_1 c_{\mu_1} + \mu_2 c_{\mu_2} x^{\mu_1} + \mu_3 c_{\mu_3} x^{\mu_2} + \dots[/itex]

The [tex]\mu_i[/tex] in the series I wrote down are spacetime indices, not exponents. This is a series expansion in the spacetime coordinates written covariantly. It's equivalent to a series like

[tex]\sum_{(n_t, n_x,n_y,n_z)} A_{n_t n_x n_y n_z} t^{n_t} x^{n_x} y^{n_y} z^{n_z},[/tex]

but written in a far more useful form.

and then
[itex]\partial^2 \partial \cdot f = \mu_1 \mu_2 \mu_3 c_{\mu_3} + \mu_1 \mu_2 \mu_3 \mu_4 c_{\mu_4} x^{\mu_1} + \dots = 0[/itex]

how can i tell then that [itex]c_{\mu_i}=0 \forall i \geq 3[/itex]?

Thanks.

It should be clearer once you figure out what the series means.

Related to How Do Conformal Transformations Extend Lorentz Symmetry in Physics?

What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are a set of equations that describe the mathematical relationship between space and time in special relativity. They were developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and play a crucial role in understanding the effects of relative motion on physical phenomena.

What is the purpose of Lorentz Transformations?

The purpose of Lorentz Transformations is to provide a framework for understanding how the laws of physics behave in different reference frames. They allow us to describe how measurements of space and time are affected by an observer's relative motion, and explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

How do Lorentz Transformations differ from Galilean Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are based on the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should appear the same to all observers moving at a constant velocity. In contrast, Galilean Transformations were developed before the theory of relativity and assume that time and space are absolute. Thus, Lorentz Transformations take into account the effects of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity, while Galilean Transformations do not.

What is the equation for a Lorentz Transformation?

The equation for a Lorentz Transformation is:
x' = γ(x - vt)
where γ is the Lorentz factor, x' is the position in the moving reference frame, x is the position in the stationary reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and t is the time in the stationary frame.

How are Lorentz Transformations used in real-world applications?

Lorentz Transformations are used in a variety of real-world applications, including the study of particle physics, the design of GPS systems, and the development of modern physics theories such as quantum mechanics and the theory of general relativity. They are also essential for understanding the behavior of high-speed particles and spacecraft, and play a crucial role in the field of astrophysics.