How did the author determine the range of x for this problem?

In summary: To see how he might have done this, note that the derivatives are y' = 4x^3 and y' = (pi/2) * cos(pi * x/2). The latter is 0 at x = 0, pi/2, pi and so on, and the former is 0 at x = 0. These are the x-coordinates of the points where the curves intersect.
moaath
y=x^4, y=sin(pix/2); about x=-1

the solution is attached .

how he determinate it to be from 0 to 1 ...?
as I know , we usually put for example the expression of y1 = y2 and solve it for zero but in this case is not easy to do it,so how did he do it...??

note: my english is bad so please correct any thing wrong in my writing...thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
y=x^4, y=sin(pix/2) intersect at 0 and 1, and looking at the shaded area in the figure, that is the area bounded (between) the two curves (function).

may you show me the procedure of equaling the two equations step by step

thanks

how he determinate it to be from 0 to 1 ...?
as I know , we usually put for example the expression of y1 = y2 and solve it for zero but in this case is not easy to do it,so how did he do it...??
You're right about the difficulty of solving an equation such as sin(pi * x/2) = x^4. Equations like this, where x appears in the argument of a transcendental function and outside it, are usually impossible to solve by algebraic means. I suspect that the author of this problem cooked up these functions so they would intersect at the origin and (1, 1).

Related to How did the author determine the range of x for this problem?

1. What is a problem in cylindrical shell?

A problem in cylindrical shell refers to a mathematical or engineering problem that involves finding the solution for a system or structure that is shaped like a cylinder. This could include problems related to fluid flow, heat transfer, or structural stability.

2. How do you approach solving a problem in cylindrical shell?

The approach to solving a problem in cylindrical shell depends on the specific problem at hand. However, some common steps include creating a mathematical model of the system, applying relevant equations and principles, and using numerical or analytical methods to find a solution.

3. What are the common applications of problems in cylindrical shell?

Problems in cylindrical shell are commonly encountered in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They have practical applications in industries such as aerospace, oil and gas, and construction, where cylindrical structures are often used.

4. How do you handle complex problems in cylindrical shell?

Complex problems in cylindrical shell may require advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations to solve. It is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to use appropriate numerical methods to find a solution.

5. What are some common challenges when dealing with problems in cylindrical shell?

Some common challenges when dealing with problems in cylindrical shell include accounting for factors such as material properties, boundary conditions, and geometric imperfections. Additionally, the accuracy and reliability of the results can be affected by the assumptions and simplifications made in the mathematical model.